Thread: Sapele Finish and Fix Gap?

Sapele Finish and Fix Gap?

My first go using a domino 700 and making a mitered edge table.

It’s sapele and I think paduak strip.

I’m leaning toward Arm a Seal satin for ease of application and quickness in drying. Anything else I should look into? I have a toddler and new born so time is limited.

Also, there is a small gap on both ends like the picture shows. It’s about 3/4 of a millimeter. It’s the underside of the shelf so not visible. I was wondering if I should cut a small piece of wood and slide it in there with a glue for support? Since the glue is on the top side of the shelf.

The shelf is 68 inches long and I have a sitter support on the back side. It’s also 11 1/2 inches wide.

free image upload no registration

For me, slivers of wood are the preferred filing method and if care is taken around grain direction, they can become almost invisible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If nothing moves when you lean on the shelf -- with the bookcase in its usual position -- I wouldn't worry about the gap. If the shelf does move, then put a sliver of wood in there. It would be very difficult to make the grain direction of the sliver the same as the bookcase side.

If it is a 'below eye level shelf' can you push the shelf up in the gap and put the gap-filling sliver on the bottom of the shelf where it is less visible?
    Mark McFarlane