Thread: Tables with large resin inclusions?

Tables with large resin inclusions?

My son and his wife are looking at tables by a woodworker in their area, with large long bands of black resin in between the wood boards. I’ve seen this look, it’s very dramatic: but I have reservations.

As the wood expands and contracts, wouldn’t gaps show up between the resin and the wood? And I’d think the bigger the piece, the greater problems there might be.

It makes reminds me of every time I tried to fill a crack, and how well THAT worked out, LOL.

I promised I would find out from experts if the resin was an issue or not. I'm more of a small project maker and refinisher...

Thanks!

There is a real risk of delamination if the wood used is not thoroughly dried. If the maker has a history of success with his tables and offers a reasonable warranty, it may be ok. I recently saw a 2" thick countertop with a substantial epoxy fill (full depth, 8" long and from 0-1.5" wide) that I did 8 or 10 years ago that is in good shape.

The answer to your question can be both yes and no, as Kevin mentioned. Properly done with materials that are prepared well can result in a resilient end product.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...