Thread: ethernet to wifi for out building.

ethernet to wifi for out building.

i have ethernet cable run to shop but need to convert to wifi for phones and all. all seem to find is wifi to eathernet.....

You just need an access point. You can even use an older device if you have one lying about and are fine with older WiFi capabilities. Just turn off routing in the device so it's only being used as a wireless access point. Even if you need to buy something, it's often easier to buy a simple WiFi router and turn off the routing than it is to find an access point only device, at least in the consumer space.

Alternatively, put in a Mesh system so you have a "single" WiFi network both in your house and in your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you think you might want to connect something with wired ethernet in the future, a router with routing functions disabled would make sense. That way you have wifi plus typically 4 ethernet ports and one or more USB ports. I have a router that has as an option, access point. This is DD-WRT, I don't know if this is common on other routers or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If you think you might want to connect something with wired ethernet in the future, a router with routing functions disabled would make sense. That way you have wifi plus typically 4 ethernet ports and one or more USB ports. I have a router that has as an option, access point. This is DD-WRT, I don't know if this is common on other routers or not.
    Why is it necessary to disable the ethernet function if nothing is plugged into the ports?

I solved the OP's problem by adding another Google WiFi puck in my shop hardwired to the Ethernet that I had previously wired in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Why is it necessary to disable the ethernet function if nothing is plugged into the ports?

I solved the OP's problem by adding another Google WiFi puck in my shop hardwired to the Ethernet that I had previously wired in.
    He (and I) said to disable routing (layer 3), not Ethernet. The reason is that there is already a router at the demark between the OP's Internet provider and his internal network. Adding another router downstream that is also routing creates an additional network and results in what's called "double NAT, (double address translation) which can cause issues with some applications, but generally just adds complexity that doesn't need to be there.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-20-2022 at 7:25 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post

Typo, sorry. I meant disable the ROUTING functions. I know that two routers with DHCP enabled is a recipe for no workee.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    i have ethernet cable run to shop but need to convert to wifi for phones and all. all seem to find is wifi to eathernet.....
    I ran an ethernet cable underground to my shop about 250’ from the house. The ethernet cable is fed by one of the ports on the cable modem. In the shop it plugs into an ethernet switch. Several ethernet ports on the switch go to several devices in the shop. One ethernet port feeds an inexpensive Deco mesh device configured as an access point to provide wifi.

I used to plug the ethernet into a wifi router configured as an access point in the shop but the Deco is simpler to configure.

JKJ

John, I like your answer. I have the same situation as the OP in that I have an ethernet cable running into my pole barn. I do have an old router but the Deco device sounds much easier, especially for someone like me who is not too familiar with setting up wifi systems. Can you tell me which Deco device you are using.

There's generally nothing wrong with leaving the routing functions in the box. It will use NAT to change the IP address but that's normal. You may have a different SSID, something like ShopRouter, but your portable device will automatically switch to your house SSID when you go back there. It's not necessary to make it into an access point.

I've run my network like that for years and never had any problems.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a network cable run out to my shop and have a wireless router hooked up so I can access it from several different devices. I have never had a problem with this

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    John, I like your answer. I have the same situation as the OP in that I have an ethernet cable running into my pole barn. I do have an old router but the Deco device sounds much easier, especially for someone like me who is not too familiar with setting up wifi systems. Can you tell me which Deco device you are using.
    It might be an M5, but i’d have to look. It was one my son gave me. Works well in my shop office; I haven’t tested the range all over the shop. A google search gave instructions on setting a Deco to access point mode.

I also have two Decos in the house working in mesh mode, X68s I think. These have improved wifi all over the house.

JKJ

John J, after seeing your answer I started doing some research on access points and discovered this model by TP-Link at a bargain price of $28 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D71Q5NY...t_details&th=1. I received it today and set it up in my pole barn. Plug in power from a wall outlet, plug in your ethernet cable and turn on the power switch. Then all I had to do with my phone and laptop was scan for wifi networks and after finding this one you just put in the password (from the device label) and you have an instant wifi connection. So simple and it works great. If you want to change the password you just have to put in the IP address, like for a router, and change it. And, unlike me, if you're well versed in networks you can make other settings changes similar to a router.

Hope this information helps the OP.