Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dryer Experts

Blog Entries
    I find it surprising you work around machines and do not know about using a solid object to bring sound from one point to your ear as a diagnostic technique.

I felt my response was rather restrained. My posting a heartfelt rant might end up with me being a former member of this or any other forum.

I think it was someone with an electrical problem to cause me to decide against giving advice on electrical problems. It seemed the person may have been headed towards an electrocution of their self.

Now I get the block of wood thing at the end but not the hole.
    The hole is a mortise to hold the dowel, possibly the quickest way to attach a piece to a dowel. It creates a platform for the ear and a wider area for the sound to resonate. Kind of like the top of a screwdriver handle on which to rest one 's ear. Placing the dowel directly in one's ear can be uncomfortable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I know about it at least the screw driver. Yes ive been around all kinds of machines, its never been needed, ill hand spin a shaper and tell you how the bearings are. Or listen to wind down last five seconds. Never needed it on car stuff just stick my head in the area to hear a lifter.

Never done it and this is an assembled machine with no access while running. Even apart the bulk head is still there from the front or if from above if hot wired the drum is still in the way the for any access for below or to either side so while a good suggestion on car it doesnt suit this, more so on the past one I rebuilt, the drum is huge in this machine. Old school stuff and why I like it.

Im around top people in many trades. Pick your trade people working on cars, then ill know restoration people and cars in the millions for Pebble Beach or whatever. The German tool and Die maker knew was the best. The one old guy in this trade one the top in this country. Highly respected. Im super lucky for so many people ive met and have friendships with over the years.

My friend that is a washer and dryer guy for over 40 years said to keep looking for a scrape area. Ive found non.

I get it about advice especially reading this forum id never suggest doing some of what I do. Ive done my rants about people and manufacturers who sell machines based on having a visa and no teaching. People learning what happens after its happened. It should be allowed but it is. Sawstop capitalized on the lack of logic selling people saws yet if you have a gun or a car you need license. At least someone has taught you how you will crash and burn with those.

All good thanks for explaining the hole thing. IM bent on the clean and service when time and assemble and run it. Actually once really clean maybe ill find a scrape area. The one I did for the neighbour was so simple bracket cut through then one more area. On that one the drum had been running on metal for some amount of time. If I could have posted a video I would have. At some point ill have to learn more about all that.

soooo thanks for your thoughts. im sure my humour isnt always on track. Thats not even including the ones that vaporized.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I find it surprising you work around machines and do not know about using a solid object to bring sound from one point to your ear as a diagnostic technique.

I felt my response was rather restrained. My posting a heartfelt rant might end up with me being a former member of this or any other forum.

I think it was someone with an electrical problem to cause me to decide against giving advice on electrical problems. It seemed the person may have been headed towards an electrocution of their self.

The hole is a mortise to hold the dowel, possibly the quickest way to attach a piece to a dowel. It creates a platform for the ear and a wider area for the sound to resonate. Kind of like the top of a screwdriver handle on which to rest one 's ear. Placing the dowel directly in one's ear can be uncomfortable.

jtk
    I purchased a mechanics stethoscope many, many years ago. They are not expensive. Still use once in a while. This is NOT the one I have but like >
    https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63691.html
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10