Thread: The "Too Big To Fail" laundry rack

The "Too Big To Fail" laundry rack

We've been drying laundry outside since we moved in late August, but now winter weather conditions have arrived. On Monday I built this clothes rack, which is a nightmarishly large version of the little ones that at least used to be in widespread use. This rack is about 6'7" tall, 6 feet long and 2 feet wide, and when folded is 3'x6'x8" or so. I used 5/8" poplar dowels from Lowes, and the frame is made of 4/4 hardwood scraps which I cut down to 1-1/4" wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your space looks incredibly cozy!

I like your two mousers, too. I think I asked you before where Piercefield is, so I sort of remember. You probably have a little snow now.
    John

Drying clothes the natural way is great. Smells better, clothes last longer, and, inside helps with winter humidity in the house. I cant convince my wife to do it.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    We dry au natural too! Your rack is an inspiration! This reminds me that I need to follow through with the restoration of this "APEX" drying rack. A lot is missing. It had eight arms that swing closed and lay flat against the wall when not in use. It rode on a track that went high up the wall, hoisted by a string. Salvaged from the last remaining wall of Great Aunt In Laws crumbling, derelict, summer camp.

IMG_0930.jpg Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 3.19.17 PM.png
    The POPULAR looks like it may be made of poplar
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-23-2022 at 4:34 PM. Reason: + web image of a complete one
    Best Regards, Maurice

That's very nice of all of you. I lost track of this thread after it came down here and didn't check in for a while. That wall hanging rack design is a new one to me. We had one that folded horizontally, with four arms on each side, and I intend to make one like it to mount somewhere for hanging up wet jackets and such near the wood stove.