Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: -- do you shake your milk?

I freeze all of ours when initially purchased, then thaw for a few days before use. Also only used for lattes. I find it is very rare that the milk goes bad this way. Not sure why it works, but it does.

Fridge temp has been verified by multiple high-end thermometers. It is correct, which is nice. You never know with those refrigerator thermometers.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Most all milk sold is homogenized.
    BilL D

Correction, it's Maryland - Virginia Dairy Assoc.

is this a James Bond thing?

Then this is why we cant always trust the interweb

shaken.JPG

If you buy the milk at Costco it has a shelf life of six weeks or more. Often when we are finished with it, the carton shows it is still a month from being out of date. It comes from the midwest somewhere, and is not local (CA).

I asked one time, and was told it is ultra homogenized, or ultra pasteurized, can't remember which but the homogenized sounds logical. The milk we buy is 1%, with three half gal cartons to a box for $10.88. More expensive than the cheap stuff at the market, but better tasting than normal 2%.

My folks ran a Lawson dairy store in Ohio, and I remember homogenized milk costing 3c a gallon more than non. Lots of folks then bought non homogenized, took it home and poured off the cream for coffee, then drank the non fat. That was 1956.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

There is such a thing as Ultra High Temperature (UHT) milk. It's essentially sterilized, and so doesn't need refrigeration. Pretty common in Europe for many years.

I had never heard of people shaking milk. Maybe it's just a habit turned custom, from the days before homogenization. I have heard that smelling the bottle is not a good way to check freshness, as you can be smelling the dried crusty stuff around the cap, which can go bad while the body of milk is still OK.

" . . . Lots of folks then bought non homogenized, took it home and poured off the cream for coffee, then drank the non fat. That was 1956. . . "

I think I'd be the one who drank the cream, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    If you buy the milk at Costco it has a shelf life of six weeks or more. Often when we are finished with it, the carton shows it is still a month from being out of date. It comes from the midwest somewhere, and is not local (CA).

I asked one time, and was told it is ultra homogenized, or ultra pasteurized, can't remember which but the homogenized sounds logical. The milk we buy is 1%, with three half gal cartons to a box for $10.88. More expensive than the cheap stuff at the market, but better tasting than normal 2%.

My folks ran a Lawson dairy store in Ohio, and I remember homogenized milk costing 3c a gallon more than non. Lots of folks then bought non homogenized, took it home and poured off the cream for coffee, then drank the non fat. That was 1956.
    Lawson's chip dip is the A number 1 best ever - not even close - chip dip in the universe!
    Circle K owns the original recipe which goes back 70 years.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Most of you have never heard of shaking milk because you have never had or see non-homogenized milk. When I worked at a dairy part time in high school, most of the milk was homogenized, but they still had customers for non-homogenized Guernsey milk. The cream would separate out and form at the top of the milk bottle. Maybe the top inch and a half. It could be mixed again by shaking a few times. My dad always shook the milk container, but rarely ever poured milk for anything but us kids. A holdover from the dairy he knew growing up. When I married my ex. , my ex FIL kept a cow in the barn for milk. Mostly a holstein but for a bit he had a jersey. The cream would always be floating on top the milk in the fridge and even had thicker lumps of butterfat in that. . I loved it, but my ex said it was what she grew up with and hated it. Then when we had kids and bought a lot of milk she would complain that it looked like white colored water. There is a very small dairy nearby, the Brown Cow, that, last I was in, still sells non-homogenized milk, and the cream goes to the top, even in the chocolate milk. (BTW, I once had a very dark brown Jersey cow. I named her calf Chocolate, so the Brown cow really did give Chocolate milk)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    So you are really just having a milkshake. Seriously though the only milk I shake is chocolate milk because real or imagined it seems sometimes some settles to the bottom. When I was a kid and into the 90's possibly we had milk that needed stirred. Because the cream rises to the top on "home squeezed" milk. Nothing better on cereal though.
    I worked part time for a dairy in high school and got hooked on cream. Every once in a while, I will buy a pint of heavy whipping cream to drink. (Which BTW, has fewer carbs per pint than skim milk) (carbs not calories) If you are trying to watch weight and go KETO, cream is better than skim.

I was taught that buttermilk, was cream after the butter was removed and had nothing to do with whole milk. But all the stores now sell "cultured" butter milk which to me is as mysterious and unnatural as non-dairy half and half. When i worked for a dairy 60 yrs ago, the buttermilk was just that, cream after the butter had been removed. Sort of a bluish tinge to it too. The stuff today is just partially soured milk. We use plain yogurt instead of buttermilk in recipes.

Are there still Lawson dairy stores in Ohio? Like I said, dad ran one until they fired him because they found out he was planning to move to CA. That was my first job, at 11, I stocked shelves, and cleaned, at 12 I worked the counter, and everything else, except for running the meat slicer. My mom put her foot down about that. At that time, it was a small grocery store. No gas station like nowadays.

Interesting fact. I have dad's old records, and he made twice as much money as store manager in 1954, as I made as a Fireman in 1964. That was a surprise. Always wondered if he got some sort of commission on store profits. It was a busy store and he had mom and me working free..well....not quite, I got 50c per hr.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

doesnt skim have sugar in it, sugar is evil.

No added sugar - skim just has the fat removed. All milk has sugar - lactose is sugar.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I just bought some of that Costco 1% milk. It says 'ultra pasteurized' on the carton. Bought 11-22-22, sell by date 1-13-23.

It has also gone up 2$ for three half gals. That's almost 20% this year, must be that 8% inflation rate.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Fleming took the name for his character from that of the American ornithologist James Bond, a Caribbean bird expert and author of the definitive field guide Birds of the West Indies; Fleming, a keen birdwatcher himself, had a copy of Bond's guide and he later explained to the ornithologist's wife that "It struck me ...

Inspirations for James Bond - Wikipedia