Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the proper tension for a Resaw King?

What's the proper tension for a Resaw King?

Just picked up an Iturra tension meter. Sent email to Laguna yesterday evening asking what's the proper tension for a Resaw King. Got a reply this morning pointing me to a Laguna youtube where the guy (Laguna employee) says to tension until the blade deflects 1/4".

I replied explaining that I was looking for an actual number and clarified that this was on a 18" Rikon. Her reply was that since it wasn't on a Laguna I should check with my saw manufacturer.

So, does anyone know what the proper tension is for a 1 1/4" Resaw King?

Thanks.
    Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I use the deflection push on the blade + my gauge that’s on the saw. Never used a tension gadget.
    My saw is a 20 inch Aggizani
    Aj

Carbide tipped bandsaw blades run well at 20 to 25 ksi. I would put 25 ksi on it. If it flutters then lower the tension until it stops.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If it flutters then lower the tension until it stops.

John
    I'd never heard that before. I thought Carbide tipped blades needed to be extremely tensioned.

I've been struggling with flutter on my Felder FB 510 using a 1" Resaw King blade. I kept tensioning it until the spring was maxed out but the blade kept fluttering. I got so frustrated that I switched back to a regular steel blade that works fine but leaves a rough surface.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEL MONGEON View Post
    I'd never heard that before. I thought Carbide tipped blades needed to be extremely tensioned.

I've been struggling with flutter on my Felder FB 510 using a 1" Resaw King blade. I kept tensioning it until the spring was maxed out but the blade kept fluttering. I got so frustrated that I switched back to a regular steel blade that works fine but leaves a rough surface.
    What is it that you never heard before? That you lower the tension to make the flutter stop? That comes straight out of the Grizzly manual for my G0636X bandsaw. You tension to the 1" mark for a 1" blade, which gives a measured 24 ksi on a 1" Lennox Woodmaster CT, probably 25% higher on a Resaw King. Using that as the max, which is arbitrary, but that's how Grizzly goes about it, if the blade runs w/o flutter you leave it there, if it flutters you lower the tension until it stops. That should only reduce the tension 2 or 3 ksi. There's no reason you couldn't increase tension to eliminate the flutter. Flutter is a harmonic vibration related to tension. Change the tension to move away from the frequency that causes the harmonic and flutter stops.

The FB 510 ain't so capable when it comes to tension. 20 ksi might be realistic with a 1" Resaw King, but that should be enough to get reasonable performance, and w/o flutter. Build a tension meter and see what you get. Go from there. Here's the one I built and use with new blades.

https://sites.google.com/view/jteney...ter?authuser=1

John

Pretty sure the resaw king should be a lower tension than 20-25k, I think it was designed with the intention to use on the lighter duty bandsaws, i had one on a laguna 14/12 and snapped it on that from over tension and that thing is weak.

Broke my 3/4" Resaw King, last week, on my 14/12. Just had it sharpened by Laguna. Previously, it had been on for 6 years of constant tension, so I can't really complain.

New blade is on and tensioned much lower.

I have a Resaw King on my Laguna LT18 and just use the tension gauge on the machine. No problems other than a blade that needs cleaning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Pretty sure the resaw king should be a lower tension than 20-25k, I think it was designed with the intention to use on the lighter duty bandsaws, i had one on a laguna 14/12 and snapped it on that from over tension and that thing is weak.
    The rk is thinner than std carbide blades. So 25k on the laguna blade is less force on the saw than 25k on a woodmaster CT. It's all about the blade cross section.a thinner cross section is less force for a given psi target.

Have you ran the blade using Lagunas method if so was there a problem ?
    I went with Lagunas "vague" tension instructions on a Laguna SUV 14 using a 3/4 resaw king, & a few other blades with great cutting results. Some blade manufactures list the PSI spec for there blades some don't. I tried to research why is knowing what PSI tension on a BS blade is important and never got a good explanation. Laguna isn't concerned with it at all and they sell a lot BS & blades.
    Last edited by lou Brava; 11-17-2022 at 9:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    Have you ran the blade using Lagunas method if so was there a problem ?
    I went with Lagunas "vague" tension instructions on a Laguna SUV 14 using a 3/4 resaw king, & a few other blades with great cutting results. Some blade manufactures list the PSI spec for there blades some don't. I tried to research why is knowing what PSI tension on a BS blade is important and never got a good explanation. Laguna isn't concerned with it at all and they sell a lot BS & blades.
    We've talked about this so often here; hard to imagine you missed it. Tension is what allows a bandsaw blade to cut straight and with maximum efficiency - speed. The higher the tension the less tendency there is for the blade to wander and the faster it will cut until the gullets are fully loaded. There should be no debate over that. Will the blade cut straight at lower tension? Yes, to a point, but it will start to wander more easily as soon as it starts to dull on one side, or if it's loaded too fast. What tension should you run at? It's up to you but limited by your saw. Lennox states that their blades are designed to be able to run up to 30 ksi. I run all blades at about 25 ksi on my 17" Grizzly, because it can. On my 14" cast iron Delta I run a 1/2" blade at 12 ksi, because that's all that saw can comfortably muster on a blade that wide. Does it still cut straight? Yes, if it's perfectly set up and I don't push it very hard. But the Grizzly running the same blade at 25 ksi will cut straight even if not set up quite perfectly, much faster, and do it much longer.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    We've talked about this so often here; hard to imagine you missed it. Tension is what allows a bandsaw blade to cut straight and with maximum efficiency - speed. The higher the tension the less tendency there is for the blade to wander and the faster it will cut until the gullets are fully loaded. There should be no debate over that. Will the blade cut straight at lower tension? Yes, to a point, but it will start to wander more easily as soon as it starts to dull on one side, or if it's loaded too fast. What tension should you run at? It's up to you but limited by your saw. Lennox states that their blades are designed to be able to run up to 30 ksi. I run all blades at about 25 ksi on my 17" Grizzly, because it can. On my 14" cast iron Delta I run a 1/2" blade at 12 ksi, because that's all that saw can comfortably muster on a blade that wide. Does it still cut straight? Yes, if it's perfectly set up and I don't push it very hard. But the Grizzly running the same blade at 25 ksi will cut straight even if not set up quite perfectly, much faster, and do it much longer.

John
    That's what I understood from reading books and other posts. What had me confused was the idea of less tension to get rid of flutter. You wrote in one post that you can get rid of flutter if you release the tension on a blade, but then in this last post state that to get a straight cut you must have higher tension.

Anyway, thank you for the earlier reply. I went ahead and bought a tension gauge that should arrive in a few days. I'll be able to set a blade to the right ksi right off the bat without guessing.

"The FB 510 ain't so capable when it comes to tension." I'm not sure what you mean by this. When researching bandsaws last year I did not come across any negative information regarding the Felder machines.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEL MONGEON View Post
    Are both blades identical in length? FB-510 shouldn’t have any problem with that RK.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

i run a 1" resaw king on a mm16 at 29k tension - for many years without any problems
    jerry
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Are both blades identical in length? FB-510 shouldn’t have any problem with that RK.

Erik
    Yes they are both 170", I just rechecked my order.

From R&D bandsaw in Canada: Ripper37 (1" to 1-1/4" wide) - Width: 1" Thickness: 0.032" TPI: 2 Length:170

From Felder Machinery in Canada: RESAW KING BLADE 1in X 170in

The Ripper works well. It cuts very straight but leaves a rough surface. The Resaw King leaves a nice smooth surface but gets a strange flutter and also is leaving some burn marks.
    Here are some close ups I took earlier this year with the resaw king blade.
    20220621_093002.jpg 20220621_093040.jpg