Thread: Epoxy Didn't Cure

Epoxy Didn't Cure

I am making a few jewelry boxes for presents. I used quick set epoxy to hold the splines in the corners of one box. After two days it never cured so I removed all of the splines. Any suggestion as how to get rid of the gooey epoxy still in the slots & prep before I reglue? The slots are 1/8". The box is black walnut and splines are holly. I have plenty of new splines.

Acetone or lacquer thinner.

Lots of ventilation.....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks, it worked great. I just rinsed with water and after it dries, I will reglue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Acetone or lacquer thinner.

Lots of ventilation.....

Run a sample first - just to make sure the material itself is ok.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Using a small digital scale to measure out the two parts by weight significantly reduces the opportunity for a ratio that fails, at least in my hands. The weight ratio might be slightly different than the volume ratio, so check the label.

I once was building a chair and going for an epoxy finish followed by Epifanes. The epoxy never cured. Drove me nuts trying to figure out why. Eventually I looked at the containers and System 3 had sent me two Part A containers instead of one Part A and one Part B. (So all resin, no hardener). Crazy, but happened. Acetone wipe down got rid of it with difficulty.

Check your bottles.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.