Thread: Neighbor bought a Flexicam

Neighbor bought a Flexicam

My woodworker neighbor just bought a Flexicam CNC. I haven't seen it in person yet but it looks like a beast. He's a little new to the software side of a CNC so he couldn't answer some of my questions. I'm sure he would allow me to use it whenever I want and I think he could use help on occasion so I was hoping to learn more about it. It came with Alphacam and Cabinetvision software but I have read that the company says Vetric is an option and I read posts about people using Fusion 360. What I would like to do is be able to do work in Fusion and generate the correct code for it. My Onefinity uses basic G code, not sure if this will do the same. Here's a generic picture of it.
    FlexiCAM-Stealth-HD.jpg

It looks like a heavy duty cnc. What size is it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It has a 5x8 table with a 20hp vacuum pump and a 11kw spindle with ATC (8 bits).

Alex, you will need to determine what kind of "post-processor" must be used when you create the cutting files (CAM) from whatever software you opt to use for your CAD. The post-processor adds machine specific stuff to the cutting files and also determines the file format/file extension.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm having only so much luck searching online for a post processor that will work with Fusion 360. I never got around to learning Vetric so I didn't purchase it yet but I may have to now if they have the option for his machine in their list of post processors. Once I can see it in person and get a chance to see the files I should know more. Right now it looks like just saving the project in a standard format (like DXF) should allow it to be imported by Alphacam. From there I can create the code.

I believe he has the saw blade for cutting sheets. I'm hoping to see that in action.

FlexiCQM PP

FlexiCAM.PNG This is a snip from Vectric VCarve Pro showing they have post processors for a FlexiCAM.

Post processors are created by the machine manufacturer and then provided to the CAM software company or sometimes direct to the end user. They are CAM software specific. For example, with my Vectric software and my particular CNC machine, I use the "Camaster Inch Tool Change" post processor. That was originally created by Camaster (and occasionally updated) even though Vectric does include it in their software distribution directly. Some post processors do not reference the machine manufacturer name...it depends upon the controller being used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No idea of the control on this, but when I used my Surfcam SW to program the Avid machine, I used a generic 3 axis post and made a couple minor tweaks. Adding a toolchanger would likely make that more complicated.

Considering the 'market' for Fusion, I'd be surprised if there isn't a post for this, or at least a router with tool change that could be easily modified.

According to the Flexicam website, they have their own control or Seimens, or Fanuc. If it is their control it states programming per DIN 66025 which is pretty much standard g-code. Any generic fanuc post would be close enough to run parts.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

I found the post processor for Fusion 360 on their site. I now need to know what bits he has and what location they are on the tool holder. I talked last night with him and he just needs to run power to it.

You can put the bits in any toolholder location you want, wether it be a rack style or rotary turret style holder. You just need to write the program accordingly for whichever tool you want to use and in which order.
    Brian Lamb

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    You can put the bits in any toolholder location you want, wether it be a rack style or rotary turret style holder. You just need to write the program accordingly for whichever tool you want to use and in which order.
    It's a rack system that holds 8 bits. What I don't know is what bits he has and the location each one is in. He got it used so if any programs came with it they would have been written with the bits in their current location.

I doubt they left the bits in the same location all the time, I know I don't. You determine what tools you want and what location to put them in. Load the tool rack and there should be some sort of automated code for going thru the length setting process, or they can be set manually. Then you write the program based on what order you want things done, calling up the correct tool as you go.
    Brian Lamb