Thread: And the winner is - Bosch 1617EVSPK (I think)

And the winner is - Bosch 1617EVSPK (I think)

Menards has this on sale for $199 - minus 11% rebate = $177 - I also have a $29 credit from using my Menards card which lowers the cost to about $148.

That's lower than I can get a reconditioned one for.

I'll need an adapter so I can use my PC bushings in it - but - I feel really good about getting a good price on what's a pretty well thought of tool.

I did think long and hard about the Festool - but - I can't pass up a deal like this.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Sounds like a great deal on a good tool. Enjoy!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Congratulations. If they haven’t changed the design, the fixed base may already be tapped with the 3 hole “PC 690” mounting pattern. Remove the sub base (4 screws) and you should see the the extra base plate screw holes. If so, any base plates drilled for the 690’s should be plug and play. The Bosch kit may even include screws…but don’t quote me on that.
    earl

Earl - that may have sealed the deal. I do have a PC 690 so, I can give it a try!
    If it doesn't work out it isn't a big deal.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have one. Great router. If you’re going to be using it handheld get the D-handle accessory. You won’t be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Earl - that may have sealed the deal. I do have a PC 690 so, I can give it a try!
    If it doesn't work out it isn't a big deal.
    Screws for the 3-hole may be different size from the 4-hole, so use caution!
    earl

Well - I picked up the 1617EVSPK from Menards early (about 6:30am) this morning.
    It was on sale - $249 marked down to $199 - minus 11% - made it $177.
    I had a store credit from using my Menards credit card of $29 - which lowered the price even more to $148 - then my wife pulled out a Menards rebate certificate from stuff we bought months ago, for $118.

So I ended up getting the fixed base/plunge base kit for about $30 out of pocket.
    Not bad.

That's a good deal for a nice setup. I really like the multiple base setups because there are some jobs where a fixed base is great (what I use my DW618 for most of the time) and other operations benefit from a plunger. (I have a D-handle base, too, which is really good for one-handed edge work, but I rarely do that/use it)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They're great routers. I love mine enough that I bought a 2nd as my dedicated router lift motor - that way I have a backup on hand if needed.

10. I agree, the Bosch is a great choice. I own several, including the one you bought. What I didn’t know beforehand is that my other routers are magnesium, while the new ones is aluminum. I ran into problems with aluminum bases binding when swapping the motor between bases. I ended up with nasty gouges in the motor housing. After repairing the gouges, I applied paste wax to the motor housing and bases. It’s work great ever since.

Thanks for the tip Jon!
    Welcome to Sawmill Creek also.

I'll put a coat of wax on the bases, but, I'm pretty sure I'll use the plunge base all the time.

I originally wanted a 1.75 to 2.5 HP (11 to 12 amp) plunge router with a variable speed. I needed something to fill in a spot I have for something other than a small compact (DeWalt 611pk/Makita XTR01Z) plunge router.
    I had my selection narrowed down to the DeWalt 618, a Makita RF1101KIT, the Bosch and a Triton - either of them. I had considered a Festool also.

When the deal on the Bosch came around it was a no brainer. The others might be great - but - the owners of the Bosch speak highly of it also & I couldn't pass up the price.