Thread: Has anyone fooled with bleach as a wood finish? A scrubbed finish?

Has anyone fooled with bleach as a wood finish? A scrubbed finish?

I am looking at building a work table for the kitchen, at a comfortable working height for my wife that is mmm, lower than standard countertops.

Rather than a film finish for the work top I am looking at leaving the wood (white oak) bare like an enormous cutting board, washing it with hot soapy water as needed and then washing with hot water: bleach (mixed about 50:50) once a month or so.

I did find one online entry here, from — Alan Peters, “Cabinetmaking: The Professional Approach, 2nd edition” (Linden):::: https://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/0...rubbed-finish/

I do have a 1x1x4 scrap of straight grain white oak going now, two sides shellacked and two sides hit twice so far with hot soapy water and once with 50:50 hot water and bleach. I am kinda leaning towards using the plainer flat sawn face for the table top rather than quarter sawn, but I am only a week in to a sample of a table top I would like to have last for 30+ years.

If you have one of these more than a year old, is quartersawn (edge grain) surface going to work for me, or do I need to go with a flatsawn (face grain) top surface?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quarter sawn will stay flat longer. Plain sawn will become more and more wavy. Deep erosion of the summer wood on plain sawn can be a cool look. It might not be what you want for a kitchen table. I work for a designer lady who loves the look of plain sawn that has been scrubbed a lot. She gets a premium for it and generally has varnish as a last step. I see old cutting boards that end up this way by nature of use and cleaning.

I am really enjoying Lost Art Press! I wish there were more and closer pictures of the table.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-15-2022 at 7:51 AM. Reason: LAP
    Best Regards, Maurice

I have a white oak outdoor bench. It has never been hit with soap or bleach. It is deteriorating after about 7-10 years.

If I were you, make your worktable as you see fit with or without a finish, but make a few extra cutting boards that reside permanently on your table. Work on these. You'll thank yourself a decade out.

We do this for our kitchen island (walnut). Three years later it looks as new as the first day.

Blog Entries
    I am a little confused by it being called a finish. It seems more like a way to maintain unfinished wood and have it stay attractive. Like the holystone for teak decks of ships. I have not messed with wood bleach in a while. I use Clorox + soap & water, but like the designer lady follow up with a finish. My go to is Watco Butcher Block Oil.
    Best Regards, Maurice

There was a good article in FWW a year or three ago about bleaching wood. The author turned some wood as white as snow through multiple bleachings. I remember another article, maybe 5 years ago, about a soap finish, often used in Scandanavian furniture, and he may have started by bleaching, too. Worth a look.

John