Thread: What do i do with this?

What do i do with this?

I started turning about 18 years ago, turned off and on for 7 or 8 years, then had to stop due to health issues. I recently have been able to start turning again! I bought a batch of turning tools from Craigslist. Most were new and easily identifiable. However, this one is not new but not very old looking either. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone help me? I don't even know if it's for turning. The wood handle looks like a typical woodturning tool handle. I did a reverse image Google search and came up with nothing.
    tool.jpg
    Live like you are going to die tomorrow, learn like you are going to live forever.

From the shadows it looks like the blade might be welded so the short dimension is about perpendicular to the axis of the handle. If so, it may be a saw made to core out the inside of a bowl blank. It’s been a long time but IIRC the guy who developed it called it something like “bowl saw”.

The idea was to turn a deep and fairly wide groove in the bowl blank with something like a parting tool, insert the saw in the groove, then twist it slowly to saw out the center. I have one I got for evaluation.

From my perspective it had a potential problem - it always seemed on the edge of jamming in the kerf, perhaps OK if the lathe was stopped often to clear the sawdust but it felt scary to me - a jam might have jerked the handle out of my had and caused a big problem. I may have felt different if it had a strong mechanical mount instead of being hand held. It also appeared limited in the size of the bowl blank.

I tried it than put it back in the box. Mine looks almost new having only been used once. If I can remember where I put it I can prob retrieve the instructions that came with it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Stefl View Post
    I started turning about 18 years ago, turned off and on for 7 or 8 years, then had to stop due to health issues. I recently have been able to start turning again! I bought a batch of turning tools from Craigslist. Most were new and easily identifiable. However, this one is not new but not very old looking either. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone help me? I don't even know if it's for turning. The wood handle looks like a typical woodturning tool handle. I did a reverse image Google search and came up with nothing.
    tool.jpg

I believe John is correct, I bought one very similar to this about 20 years ago and returned it because I couldn't make it work as was described.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Is it a coring tool or a shop made parting tool?

Thanks for all the information, John. I think you're right and I know I'm not confident enough to try using it. Here are additional pics that are a bit clearer. tool 2.jpgtool 3.jpg

Thanks, Peter. I'm not confident enough to even try using it!
    Live like you are going to die tomorrow, learn like you are going to live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Stefl View Post
    Thanks for all the information, John. I think you're right and I know I'm not confident enough to try using it. Here are additional pics that are a bit clearer. tool 2.jpgtool 3.jpg
    Yes, that’s looks exactly like mine.

If used one way you can end up with a “dog bowl” shape finished turned with little effort. But I only turn those when I want a dog or cat bowl. But I think it was intended to simply remove a fairly large core from the middle of a larger blank to save a bit of time when turning to the desired shape, sort of like hogging out some waste wood first with a huge forstner bit.

However I have no interest in turning fast and I don’t have any problem hollowing out even a large dry bowl blank from scratch. It takes a little longer but sure allows a lot of practice! Like some others I know I like to experiment with different cuts and tools and grinds while inching towards the final shape. When close to the final shape I switch to making every cut a finish cut. After these practice finish cuts the final finish cut is easy!