Thread: New Hermes vanguard 3000lt touch sensor?

New Hermes vanguard 3000lt touch sensor?

Does anyone have experience with the touch sensor on the 3000LT?

My house is full of New Hermes stuff, but I've never heard of a 'touch sensor'...
    --google brought up that Q1E sells a touch sensor to fit a NH3400, which I have 3 of:
    touchsensor.jpg
    Best I can tell from looking at it, it 'senses' when the spindle 'hits bottom' as you're moving the spindle downward. How it works, not a clue...

I've been zero-ing out spindles for nearly 50 years, and my 'touch sensor' is my eyes, I just watch the spindle pulley for it to rise up above, or just make contact with, the main spindle housing when raising or lowering the spindle...

For the life of me I can't think of a reason to even have a touch sensor...? I guess it may be convenient, but it's really not necessary--- if you're zeroing a tool using a depth gauge nose, you WANT the spindle to 'rise up' a bit, so you KNOW the nose is in contact with the substrate when you lower the tool to the substrate and tighten the tool's collar. When done, raise the spindle back up and WATCH the top of the spindle as you raise it back up, and stop raising when the spindle's pulley and/or snap ring just make contact with the spindle housing. From there, just jog the spindle up or down a bit until you're satisfied it's close enough. When using a depth nose, a few 1000ths plus or minus from 'actual' zero doesn't matter much, because you set the cutting depth with the nose micrometer, and add .03" or so to the down cut distance so the nose and tool will always be in contact with the substrate. And I set my Z-lift setting to around .07" or so, which will raise the tool reasonably enough as it moves from letter to letter on good, flat substrate.

And if you're not using a depth nose, you just lower the spindle, stop it where you want it, loosen and lower the tool till it touches the substrate, tighten it up, and hit the ok button to set the zero point. Depth of cut is then strictly whatever depth you set in the engraving program...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

"Touch sensor" on my Xenetechs is called "Proximity sensor"
    It works as Kev described. In fully auto mode 'Y" axis moves downward till nosecone hits material and initiates Proxy sensor to stop downward motion.
    In software you have option to set additional steps usually 3 to 15 step for cutter to penetrate material trough the cap of the plastic.
    Yes proxy sensor does have its function and should be installed if machine is equipped with one.
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 11-15-2022 at 4:56 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

So i zero it out just like you said ( no depth cone as I mainly try to burnish) and il run it but it misses spots all over the place. So when i run it back it doesn’t lower down to the material all of the way and stops like hair above the material. Was wondering if maybe that sensor was messed up or something. Is there a way to get you pics or a video ? I use the spring tool for burnishing and my best results are usually zero it out, set my depth at 0 on engravelab and let it go. Like i said it either engraves perfect, too light or too deep all in the same job… im lost

I have the vacuum table snd it seems like the whole table is unlevel. Im sure that has a part in my problems? But its crazy i work piece thats 2”x3” like i said il zero it out and that seems like theres low and high spots but work piece looks super flat… feel like i need to pay an experienced engraver to facetime me while i show them how i set up and they can see the results im talking about. I also have a newing hall 350 hpgl 1 that i cant get a good burnish result on as theres no in between too light snd too deep

Dylan,

When burnishing you bypass sensor altogether and use setup in your program for down travel.
    I don't have experience with New Hermes program, Kev has a ton and will instruct you how to.

As for problem with vacuum table have you considered getting hold down mat such as Seklema. It is not cheap but it holds your sheet stock flat and secure.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

When burnishing- which I've done very little of by the way- requires the tool to move somewhat below 0-depth so the tool can actually burnish. At least .015" IMO just to compensate for table flatness (or lack thereof!) --the tool can't burnish what it's not touching!

Other important settings: spring tension of the spindle-- it MUST be "un-wound" so the pressure of the tool on the plate is as light as possible...

If it's not engraving enough, fixes are (1) slow the engraving down, (2) increase the tool depth setting, (3) increase the tool-down dwell time to give the tool time to get thru the surface, (4) increase the spindle spring pressure...

If it's engraving too much, do the reverse of everything I just typed above!

Another important factor, is the burnishing tool itself. They MUST be 'tipped' correctly, so the edges are sharp enough to work, but not so sharp they want to dig in easily...

One reason I've NOT done much burnishing is because it can be very frustrating...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I will try this advice when i return home! Il update you when im done testing thank you guys so much

Hey Kev… do you have experience with a newing-hall 350 with HPGL 1 controller?