Thread: Best Marking & Layout Instrument

Best Marking & Layout Instrument

I've watched hundreds of demonstrations and videos discussing the best this or that tool for a particular job. But, while quite often used by woodturners, I've never seen (nor read) a good discussion on marking tools: pencils, pens, markers and what not to mark wood for turning. I've never been happy with anything round as it's not so easy to keep on the same line when marking around the circumference. Markers don't seem to hold up to the rough surfaces and can be absorbed too deeply into the wood. I seem to have gravitated (at least for now) to plain ol' flat carpenter's pencils. I just hate having to sharpen them so often. I also wanted something that would stay in a shirt pocket or vest so it would always be with me no matter where I am in the shop. So I went looking for alternatives with i)flat surface to sit on the tool rest and not roll around if placed on a table, ii)pocket clip, iii)tip protection, iii) long wearing tip. I ended up purchasing one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Koh-i-Noor-Me...s%2C283&sr=1-4

There were similar options with better flat surfaces, but none had a pocket clip.

Interested in others' thoughts on marking tools, my latest purchase, and what they use.

I have four different ones I use depending on what I am marking. Four different sizes of lead. The top one is the answer to having to sharpen a carpenters pencil. A mechanical carpenters pencil. I have used them for more years than I can remember. The second one from the top was a kit that I do not remember where it came from. Very fat lead for marking rough surfaces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    ...A mechanical carpenters pencil...
    Well look at that! Had no idea those existed. Thanks for the tip!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I have four different ones I use depending on what I am marking. Four different sizes of lead. The top one is the answer to having to sharpen a carpenters pencil. A mechanical carpenters pencil. I have used them for more years than I can remember. The second one from the top was a kit that I do not remember where it came from. Very fat lead for marking rough surfaces.
    I have never seen a mechanical carpenter's pencil before. Learned something new tonight. Thanks.

Imho: get yourself an old Boston sharpener or the x-acto replica and a box of 2b pencils and you'll never mind sharpening again.

Most of the time it's just a good old #2 pencil, but I do use a mechanical pencil at times.
    I got mine from Rockler, it holds 2mm lead. (I have the older version)
    https://www.rockler.com/cabinetmakers-pencil-set

Here is a pic of one still in the package, for anyone looking to buy one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the inputs everyone. Not surprising that the #2 pencil is clearly the most widely preferred. The simple pencil just fails me too often: Short use before re-sharpening. Easily breaks in use or in your pocket. No indigenous pocket clip. Cheap ones don't sharpen reliably. Must have a separate sharpener. I'm in search of something "better" for the primary purpose of marking off turning partitions. Not impeaching the pencil users. Certainly a simple, cheap and workable solution. One I've used myself quite often.

I was hoping for some imaginative solutions I had not thought of. The mechanical carpenter's pencil is the only "new-to-me" thing I've seen suggested so far. I had seen the Irwin "carpenter tip" things, but I don't care for those for any kind of woodworking use. As I said I have been using a carpenter's pencil of late, but it is only slightly more durable than a #2. At least the mechanical carpenter's pencil doesn't require sharpening. Might give that a look if the 5.6 doesn't work out.

I have some Staedtler 2mm lead holders. Will give those a try, but am skeptical it'll be much more durable than a #2. Maybe a little because it is thicker.

I have a Pica mark-on-everything deep hole ink marker. It does mark on everything nicely, but mine leaks and can make a mess. I haven't tried their lead version. Has some promise with the thick lead.

I also have 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9 pencils. None are tough enough IMO for turning. The 0.9 is OK though.

Someone suggested/uses chalk. I have some and some marking crayons too. I'm not real fond of chalk dust though. Maybe the marking crayons. But both fail the same areas as a pencil.

I had also picked up some disposable grade school mechanical pencils that use a lead I think is a little bigger than 0.9. My thought process was that these were cheap enough to use and throw away. What I found is the plastic housing just doesn't hold up and also tends to wander on the tool rest due to the convex shape.

Someone commented that the 5.6 will be 1/4" wide when dull, thus requiring sharpening just like a pencil: I expect the fat lead to break less frequently and require less sharpening than a #2 by a large margin. Unless you are doing identical replication work, a fairly wide line is also sufficient to mark for proportioning purposes. I may not be able to use until it is completely blunt, but it should go a long way before it reaches that point. Besides, because it's all lead you can probably rough sharpen in on a smooth rounded area of the work piece by simply laying it over on its side while spinning the wood. Further, the selected lead holder also has a built-in sharpener, always at hand if sharpening is called for; no separate sharpener to lose. The point is retracted and protected when in my pocket, while being secured by the pocket clip. The venerable pencil fails in all these areas. I'll report back on the 5.6 mm lead once I get it and use it a bit.

If anyone has something "new" to suggest, please post it. I'm looking to improve on the wheel......uh I mean pencil

Update. Receivedthe Koh-i-Noor 5.6mm today. Only tried it out on the lathe for a second. But, it's pretty obvious it's going to be way better than a #2 or carpenter's pencil. Drew with it for over an hour on paper and hardly rounded the tip. Will last way longer than a pencil before resharpening, and likely won't break. Pretty beefy chunk of lead.

Someone else had suggested the Pica Dry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNoV8ACwQo
    This looks to also be a great product. I have this on my wish list too.

Here is my layout pencil although I have to admit that I don't have one right now as I have given away all that I made in the past. I wanted one that wouldn't roll off the bench, so I used a six-sided brass rod that I had laying around from my metal turning days. It doesn't roll and is heavy enough to stay put. If you lose it in a pile of wood chips, you will find it near the bottom. The mechanism is from PennState and it holds a 5.6 inch lead.
    AJpens.jpg

I ordered one. I go through pencils like a pencil maniac
    Where did I put those band aids?