Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum kiln dried wood

Vacuum kiln dried wood

Are there any studies out that show the differences between conventionally kiln dried wood vs. vacuum kiln dried wood? I hear claims that the vacuum process results in less end checking, and obviously speeds up the drying process, but that's about all I've heard. I'm curious if there are claims of the wood being more stable.

A good vacuum kiln can do a very good job even on very thick material. 'Tuber Matt Cremona has been taking his slabs and workbench kit materials to a large vacuum kiln in his area for some time now. The drying seems to be very even and extraordinarily fast at the same time, considering some of that material is like 8" thick. AFAIK, he's toying with actually buying a unit someday to bring that in-house. Considering the level of investment that requires, it says to me that the results he's getting are pretty good. And he makes a chunk of his living with those slabs and heavy work bench kits.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I learned about the vacuum kiln from John Griffin at Old Standard Wood. He talks a little about it in one of his YouTube's. I am just putting the finishing touches on a small one that fits in the wood cooker (trying to reverse engineer the roasted wood that Warmouth and others are using)

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-14-2022 at 8:15 PM. Reason: video
    Best Regards, Maurice

Just askin', too time starved to research my own question, but does vacuum drying kill any of the bugs and critters?

Blog Entries
    Great question! I am not sure but would expect so. "OK Google"...

A funny rabbit hole, now I know a little about bed bugs, roaches and vacuum cleaners.

John says he goes "down to almost outer space". That is going to kill bugs.

"almost all insects can survive without oxygen for many hours."

"Water boils at 212°F at sea level. However, if we pull a 500-micron vacuum on a sealed refrigeration system, the water inside of that system will boil at -12°F."

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-15-2022 at 1:58 PM. Reason: google
    Best Regards, Maurice

The advantage of a vacuum kiln is that water will boil at 90 degrees F in a hard vacuum. The trouble is that radiant heat does not work in a vacuum. You need heating blankets, or heating manifolds with warm water between every layer of wood. Then taking condensation out of the kiln is not easy either. Another issue with vacuum kilns is that wood density changes in a board (like crotch figure) takes longer to dry in the vacuum than the rest of the board. If a proper conditioning cycle is run in a traditional kiln, I don't think there is an advantage for stress between one to the other.

Blog Entries
    When I first met Mr. Griffin he has using a WoodMizer vacuum kiln and having problems with it. His vacuum pump then was a pump and dump water venturi powered by his well. His newer homemade one is interesting.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The advantage of a vacuum kiln is that water will boil at 90 degrees F in a hard vacuum. The trouble is that radiant heat does not work in a vacuum. You need heating blankets, or heating manifolds with warm water between every layer of wood.
    A hardwood supplier a few miles from me has a pretty big vacuum kiln. I have watched his crew load carts with green wood to be rolled into the kiln. There were no blankets or anything else. Just the lumber stacked on the carts ready to go into the kiln. HIs kiln is a commercially made one about 7'X7'X30', I am guessing. The name is on the kiln but I cannot remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    A hardwood supplier a few miles from me has a pretty big vacuum kiln. I have watched his crew load carts with green wood to be rolled into the kiln. There were no blankets or anything else. Just the lumber stacked on the carts ready to go into the kiln. HIs kiln is a commercially made one about 7'X7'X30', I am guessing. The name is on the kiln but I cannot remember it.
    There has to be a temperature differential somewhere. Vacu-Therm uses a alternating cycle of vacuum and atmospheric conditions to draw the water from the core. https://www.vacutherm.com/vacuum-kil...product-lines/

I read recently about high conventional kiln temperatures causing pitch to set hard. Surely that has to be a heat conversion process? Maybe not a factor in many wood species, but perhaps something to consider.

Water may well boil at very low temperatures in a vacuum, but you can still hold it in your hand, and it is more of a gee whiz phenomenon than anything else. (Speaking from experience of a couple of high altitude decompression chamber rides almost fifty years ago)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    I read recently about high conventional kiln temperatures causing pitch to set hard. Surely that has to be a heat conversion process? Maybe not a factor in many wood species, but perhaps something to consider.
    Mr. Griffins processes are very species specific. His Spruce is highly prized partly because of his process. He gets the target moisture content without ever exposing the wood to any warmth (quite the contrary). I am working with Maple and Black Locust on a very small scale.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The trouble is that radiant heat does not work in a vacuum.
    Radiant heat seems to work pretty good across millions of miles of vacuum between the sun and the earth.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Radiant heat seems to work pretty good across millions of miles of vacuum between the sun and the earth.
    Right!

Molecules and atoms of the medium can absorb, reflect, or transmit the radiation energy. If the medium is a vacuum, since there are no molecules or atoms, the radiation energy is not attenuated and, therefore, fully transmitted. Therefore, radiation heat transfer is more efficient in a vacuum.

I think what was meant was that you can't heat vacuum like you can air to reach every board. And since radiant heat is going to be absorbed by the first object in line with the source, he meant to say that you have to distribute the source of heat for it to be effective.

One other way that is used is microwave. Inside of the vacuum, they emit microwaves to inject the energy directly in the water molecules inside the wood. This allow the traversal of pretty much all material inside of the kiln.

The trifecta would be a dehumidified vacuum microwaved kiln. This will dry wood extremely fast with very little change in material (no cracking/splitting or warping). They are expensive though to both buy and run.

Blog Entries
    I have had some success with the regular microwave, but did not do it scientifically.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    For some reason, someone always brings up the sun and earth when a discussion of vacuum kilns starts. I'll let a professor rebut your comment; From Professor Gene Wengert, forum technical advisor:
    The sun heats due to emitted radiation, but in outer space it only heats the surface of what the energy hits. Without air, there would not be heating within the stack.You will find over-drying and under-drying from piece to piece and within an individual piece. Contributor D's dryer addresses this issue, but others I have seen and used did not except for Vacuum-Therm.
    The oscillation between vacuum and atmospheric must be done carefully indeed. Humidity at atmospheric is important.
    https://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_ba...rinciples.html