Thread: Water in my DNA - what to do?

Water in my DNA - what to do?

I just bought a fresh gallon of Klean Strip DNA. I transferred one quart into a separate container then rinsed out the funnel with the open gallon can of DNA still in the sink...

The open can of DNA may (or may not) have received a few drops of tap water. There definitely was some splashed water sitting on the top of the can.

What to do?

1) Dispose of remaining 3/4 gallon of DNA
    2) Don't do anything
    3) Relegate the contaminated DNA to a cleaning solution

My suspicion is the DNA is fine with a couple drops of water in it. I use DNA primarily for mixing shellac flakes and occasional cleaning.

I'd hate to have a shellac finish fail.
    Mark McFarlane

I would test it right now with some shellac flakes , or “crumbs” to see if it will dissolve them. The tops on DNA are often suprisingly loose
    when you buy the stuff. I don’t buy DNA if I can’t find a can with a tight top. I doubt that a couple of drops of splashed water has hurt .

Seems unlikely to be a problem; I doubt that any alcohol you can buy readily is anhydrous, surely not the cheap cans of DNA. (Anhydrous ethanol normally costs about 10X the price of 95%) Any ethanol you have will be at most 95% (eg 5% water) unless you take special measures to remove the water and keep it from getting back in from the atmosphere.

Thanks Mel and Roger. The potentially contaminated DNA still dissolves shellac flakes. I guess I'll just keep it in stock for future projects.
    Mark McFarlane