Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw Blade for wet/green wood

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Um, how are you cutting the cookies. I did that on the bandsaw a long time ago. Once.

The log rolled on me, jammed my finger and ruined the blade. I assume you are using some kind of bracing to prevent the log rolling. Right?
    I am using a miter gauge and holding the log against the miter gauge fence. I have more to cut and am going to make a sled to hold the log and ride in the miter slot.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I haven’t timed it lately. The last time I did I think it took less than 20 minutes to sharpen the 426 teeth on my 142” 3tpi blades.

I think it is worthwhile to learn the technique even if you don’t plan to use it often in case you find yourself with a dull blade and no replacement on hand.

Even though I usually buy multiple blades at a time I always have a new one on hand but I still sharpen. (The local Lenox blade shop doesn’t always stock the 3tpi stock so I have him order a 100ft coil which gives me eight blades that fit my saw. You could get ten 115” blades made for your saw from a 100’ of stock.)

Another thing is deciding when the blade is dull enough to make it worth changing or sharpening, not always easy since it can change so gradually. I talk about this briefly in the bandsaw video I did for a turning club demo. In case you’re interested the video is here: https://youtu.be/4Rbdas-jtD0

The video is about processing green logs into turning blanks. (I did the video in a bit of a rush with all new video gear and software so it has some rough edges. It’s also a bit long even with leaving out a lot I wanted to cover. I hope to do another very short video on sharpening.)

JKJ
    Having 10 blades of the same type will most likely be more then I will ever need, at least for this project. I will watch the video - never stop learning.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    The current "Tools & Shops" issue of Fine Woodworking features a Dremel-based jig for bandsaw sharpening as the lead workshop tip.
    That is a well thought out jig. I’m looking forward to making and using it.

I haven’t timed it lately. The last time I did I think it took less than 20 minutes to sharpen the 426 teeth on my 142” 3tpi blades.

I think it is worthwhile to learn the technique even if you don’t plan to use it often in case you find yourself with a dull blade and no replacement on hand.

Even though I usually buy multiple blades at a time I always have a new one on hand but I still sharpen. (The local Lenox blade shop doesn’t always stock the 3tpi stock so I have him order a 100ft coil which gives me eight blades that fit my saw. You could get ten 115” blades made for your saw from a 100’ of stock.)

Another thing is deciding when the blade is dull enough to make it worth changing or sharpening, not always easy since it can change so gradually. I talk about this briefly in the bandsaw video I did for a turning club demo. In case you’re interested the video is here: https://youtu.be/4Rbdas-jtD0

The video is about processing green logs into turning blanks. (I did the video in a bit of a rush with all new video gear and software so it has some rough edges. It’s also a bit long even with leaving out a lot I wanted to cover. I hope to do another very short video on sharpening.)

JKJ
    John,

Great Video!! It's educational and has a lot of useful tips even for not cutting blanks but bandsaw use and safety in general.

tx

Justin

John,

Thanks for the video. I thought it was great. Lots of information, easy to understand and thankfully no blaring music drowning out your voice. And I enjoyed your picking at the end.
    I subscribed and hope you will produce more videos.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    John,

Thanks for the video. I thought it was great. Lots of information, easy to understand and thankfully no blaring music drowning out your voice. And I enjoyed your picking at the end.
    I subscribed and hope you will produce more videos.
    Paul
    Thanks! It was fun to make. I have a list of videos I want to do but don’t hold your breath! 😁

I’d have more time if I could interest you in some mini donkeys, a dozen turkeys, and an alpaca or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I am using a miter gauge and holding the log against the miter gauge fence. …
    Until you get the sled made you might consider supplementing the miter gauge with a couple of wooden wedges supporting the front to prevent the blade from catching and rolling the log forward. I generally cut wedges from 2” offcuts with a curve to approximately fit the circumference of the log, doesn’t need to be exact.

If the unsupported leading edge catches on the blade and the log rolls forward it can instantly be both destructive and painful. Or worse. You can get away with cuts repeatedly like this until the one time you don’t.

JKJ

Thanks! It was fun to make. I have a list of videos I want to do but don’t hold your breath! 

I’d have more time if I could interest you in some mini donkeys, a dozen turkeys, and an alpaca or two.
    With thanksgiving coming up, the dozen turkeys should be no issue at all

Until you get the sled made you might consider supplementing the miter gauge with a couple of wooden wedges supporting the front to prevent the blade from catching and rolling the log forward. I generally cut wedges from 2” offcuts with a curve to approximately fit the circumference of the log, doesn’t need to be exact.

If the unsupported leading edge catches on the blade and the log rolls forward it can instantly be both destructive and painful. Or worse. You can get away with cuts repeatedly like this until the one time you don’t.

JKJ
    I am not going to cut another log until i have the sled ready. It will work way better than the miter gauge and until i saw your video, i never thought of using a wedge on a bandsaw.

Thanks for this tips...

John's video really is excellent - I wish there was more content out there like that.

Highland Woodworking sells a 3/8" blade intended for turners. I think the difference is greater set on the teeth so the blade doesn't drag or bind in a not-so-clean kerf.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...dsawblade.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Highland Woodworking sells a 3/8" blade intended for turners. I think the difference is greater set on the teeth so the blade doesn't drag or bind in a not-so-clean kerf.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...dsawblade.aspx
    I found and ordered one similar from Timber Wolf. They have a specific blade also. I also looked at the blade John recommended but it was about $20 more. I don't do enough wet-cutting wood to constitute the higher priced blade.

... I also looked at the blade John recommended but it was about $20 more....
    The lasts time I bought 1/2" 3tpi blades a single 142" Lenox blade made to order at a local bandsaw blade shop was way less than $20. The one I use is inside Holston Gasses in Knoxville. Shorter blades are cheaper. They cater to industry but will sell to individuals. I've been using this shop for a long time for shop bandsaws and Woodmizer blades.

I found a network of certified Lenox bandsaw shops all over the country with a google search. Sometimes they will make blades while I wait if they have the bulk stock in hand, sometimes I call the day before and just go pick them up.

JKJ

The lasts time I bought 1/2" 3tpi blades a single 142" Lenox blade made to order at a local bandsaw blade shop was way less than $20. The one I use is inside Holston Gasses in Knoxville. Shorter blades are cheaper. They cater to industry but will sell to individuals. I've been using this shop for a long time for shop bandsaws and Woodmizer blades.

I found a network of certified Lenox bandsaw shops all over the country with a google search. Sometimes they will make blades while I wait if they have the bulk stock in hand, sometimes I call the day before and just go pick them up.

JKJ
    pre-made from sites I found were about 50 bucks for a blade. Fastenel is a certified Lenox place has a location near me and looks like minimum is 5 blades if you want them to weld them off a large roll.

pre-made from sites I found were about 50 bucks for a blade. Fastenel is a certified Lenox place has a location near me and looks like minimum is 5 blades if you want them to weld them off a large roll.
    Maybe look around. The place here will make just one, order special blades such as Lenox carbide, an fix blades for free that break - I’ve only had that happen once.

You can’t compare prices without knowing the type of blade: spring steel, bimetal, carbide, etc. Those I buy are carbon steel, inexpensive, last a long time with green wood, easy to sharpen. I have bought bimetal and carbide for other uses.

Many have their favorite brand and type they sometimes swear by.