Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: small shop dust collection

Thanks everyone, I’ll probably go ahead with a 1hp model and a box fan with filters. I can run an extension cord from nearby or tap into the ceiling lights. I was anticipating that already.

The main reason I even mentioned the 20a limit was that I don’t have a dedicated additional circuit, so doing something like a modified version of the 2hp Harbor Freight unit is not really a feasible option for me.

Alan, in my research I think I read your thread on adding the enclosure around the base. I might do the same.

I suggest you do not tap into the lights for tools...they very likely are on a circuit shared by other things. Run the extension cord from a known additional 20 amp circuit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with Jim, I would just use the ceiling circuit for the box fan only not any tools.

I had a delta 1hp DC in my previous shop. I did not bother to hook it up in my current shop. It just did not move enough air to do much of anything IMHO. I sold it with the cartridge filter I added. You cannot add any DC to your current circuit, you need another for the DC. I also would not try your dust extractor on your SawStop contractor say. I tried a big Rigid shop vac on my PCS and it would not even keep the dust level from building up in the cabinet. The cabinet is terribly leaky so unless you are moving a lot of air you cannot get the dust. I use a shop vac with a dust deputy on my small tools (track saw, sanders and domino). On my PCS, router table, bandsaw, jointer, and planner I use a "2hp" DC from Harbor Freight. I have a super dust deputy on it and it discharges after the cyclone outside. I do not heat or cool my shop. I have gates on each machine and as long as only one is open at a time it does fine.

I have two 20A circuits, one for tools, and one for the DC (plus a light circuit). I think that is the minimum if your want a dust collector. I had to add a circuit when I put in the HF DC. I had to remove a bit of drywall and drill a bunch of holes but it wasn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry pepper View Post
    Thanks Jim, I can certainly run a 12g extension cord…….

I guess my question remains though will a 1hp DC be noticeably different than my extractor. I’m inclined to think yes, but some seem to disagree
    10ga extension would be better.

Yes, a DC would be a better choice for bigger machines or those with a 4” port. It’ll be even mo better when you get a jointer and especially a planer.

My comment to just use your Makita was because it’ll be the only thing you could even hope to run at the same time on one circuit. Despite what Aaron says , it WILL work on a table saw. Vacuum is vacuum and the light dust created by the saw will find its way to the vac trust me. Not all of it , but enough. Is it ideal ? Nope. Would a DC that supports a 4” hose be better ? Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry pepper View Post
    Alan, in my research I think I read your thread on adding the enclosure around the base. I might do the same.
    I would. Works fine without it. Looks very McGyverish, but works. Look into buying a better fan for it. My upgrade from the Lasko fan yielded substantial improvement for little cost. The more CFM the better for it (albeit a little noisier). And buy a respirator and wear it. Cheap. Effective. The filters last surprisingly long on the box filter. I haven't yet had the need to replace mine.

And like others have posted, you need to upgrade the electrical. You just don't have enough capacity.

You will like the SawStop a lot.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.