Thread: Delta 50-850 Dust Collector - motor bit the dust

Delta 50-850 Dust Collector - motor bit the dust

Hi,

apologies if this is the wrong forum group to post this question, but looking for some ideas (hope) here.

Longer story: I had purchased an Oneida Super Dust Deputy dust separator and barrel. I hooked it up to my Delta 1-1/2 HP dust collector and to the hose lines in my shop. The system worked fine before I installed this. When I first powered up the Delta dust collector and let it run for about 1 minute, its breaker tripped and the motor stopped. The dust collection lines were open and not at all clogged or blocked.

I diagnosed it to be a bad “run capacitor” and also tested the start cap and it was fine. Ordered a new run cap from Grainger and installed it. The original was 20 mfd 250 VAC and the replacement was supposed to be the same, although it measured closer to 31 mfd. But the replacement blew and the motor stopped after 1 minute. Thinking there was a chance that the replacement was faulty, I ordered a second one and same thing, it blew after about 1 minute.

Shorter version: I think I have a bad motor.

I have checked the motor bearings and they seem to roll just fine. So I am thinking that either thereÂ’s an internal short in the windings causing it to draw too much current or maybe it is because of the 10 mfd difference that I measured. I am not familiar enough with the run caps to know if that much of a difference can cause an issue.

Looking for some assistance or suggestions here. I cannot find any motor replacements which are; TEFM, 120 VAC (current config), 1-1/2 HP, 3480 RPM and also have the built in mounting flange which holds the motor in the right position from the stand to center the dust collectorÂ’s turbine in the housing.

Appreciate your expertise and/or suggestions.

thank you

Â’mark

from what I know of this it is ok to have a larger cap. in the circuit but not smaller. does this motor use a start switch that might not be kicking out to take the cap. out of the circuit when it comes up to speed?

When I had a DC motor that kept blowing start capacitors, it was cheaper to have a local motor shop rewind it than it was to buy a new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    from what I know of this it is ok to have a larger cap. in the circuit but not smaller. does this motor use a start switch that might not be kicking out to take the cap. out of the circuit when it comes up to speed?
    This motor actually has 2 caps. A start cap which is working fine, and the run cap. From what I know that run cap is not wired through the centrifugal switch.

thx.

I’d wager a harbor freight motor will fit the the delta impeller housing.

DC motors will overload if there is no restriction on the intake. Block off all the intakes a and see if that overloads it.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    DC motors will overload if there is no restriction on the intake. Block off all the intakes a and see if that overloads it.
    Bill D
    While this sounds counterintuitive it is true of all fan motors. Large industrial fans are always started with dampers closed and then opened after the initial startup amperage surge. Same is true of large pumps, they are started with outlet valves closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    When I had a DC motor that kept blowing start capacitors, it was cheaper to have a local motor shop rewind it than it was to buy a new motor.
    Last quote from local motor shop was MINIMUM of $650 to rewind a motor. That was for a Unisaw motor.