Thread: Children's Workbench

Children's Workbench

Roubo workbench I made for my daughter's birthday. She turned 2 on the 9th of this month. Much of the stock was milled on my jointer/planer, but all the joinery was hand cut. Of course, I used a lathe for the goofy vise handle. The dog holes were all chopped by hand, which was probably the most grueling part of the build. Ironic since there's not even an end vise to utilize them . The leg vise is fully functional. Looking back, I wouldn't have used a crummy hardware store screw for the vise, but my initial plans for this bench were much more...modest. It took about 3 months start to finish. My wife, upon seeing it wasn't covered in fidget spinners and gadgets to fiddle with (as a 2-year old does), asked "what's she going to do with it?". Good question, I guess. I plan on making projects that she can assemble at the bench. I'm currently working on 4 wood-hinge boxes identically dimensioned using different species of wood that she can assemble (see last pic).

IMG_6148.jpg IMG_6149.jpg IMG_6152.jpg IMG_6151.jpg IMG_6158.jpg IMG_6153.jpg emma_bench.jpg IMG_6131.jpg

Blog Entries
    Are you interested in adopting a 59 year old?
    Best Regards, Maurice

Great project, it is amazing! Made my grandson a bench last christmas, he was 3. Always wants to go do work. He clamps stuff and likes to drill screws. Does great with screwdrivers. Got to watch him or your downspout hangers on the house come off.

Enjoy the time!
    Chris20211226_112110.jpg

Blog Entries
    Absolutely awesome build. I built a mini Moravian workbench for my 3 and 5 year old boys to share. Beautiful build again!

Blog Entries
    She is sure to enjoy the bench for years to come.

Great job building it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wonderful. Reminds me of my dad, who died 56 years ago today. He was a master woodworker and furniture restorer and started me on the path of woodworking. The world needs more fathers like you.

Beautiful job, and the lumber is amazing.

My birthday is just before Christmas and I would look forward to having that bench.

Besides, my great grandson is 4 and after seeing your masterpiece I'm not going to put my name on his bench.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You could add what I call the no-no training board

20191027_174356.jpg

Excellent bench and I love the activity center.

That’s awesome!! My daughter will be 2 soon and another on the way…I need to get to work!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words. Both my 2 year old and 3 year old are enjoying playing with and stacking the dogs. The 2 year old quickly realized that some dogs don't fit in all the dog holes. "too tight" she says. Wait till summer rolls around, ha! I knew looser fitting dogs would be better for play...but couldn't bring myself to fit them loosely. Now I can go back and "correct" that. Only one pinched finger in the vise so far, but give it time...