Thread: 1994 Powermatic 72a Tablesaw

1994 Powermatic 72a Tablesaw

Hi All, I'm new here but looking for some advice. I have the opportunity to get a 94' powermatic 72a with a 5hp single phase motor in great condition for FREE. I currently have a 99' Delta Unisaw right tilt with a 3hp motor. I would be selling the Uni and using the cash to get new blades and some accessories for the PM plus a little extra cash in my pocket. My question is if it's a bad idea to step up to a 12" saw. I've read a few posts from people saying they really don't like the distance from the fence rail to the center of the blade on the 72's..that it's uncomfortably far. I'm just wondering if I'm going to regret the switch even though it's more powerful and comes with a very appealing price tag. Also, anyone out here have experience making or putting a mobile base under one of these? Thanks for your help!

If it's free, put it in the shop, try it out and then sell whichever of the 2 saws you like the least. I have a late 90's uni myself btw.
    Edit: as far as mobile base, I use a bora on the Unisaw.

Chad, go get the saw now!. I currently have 2 Model 72's and 3 model 66's. On 72 made in 1963 the other in 1972. The saw you are looking at is capable of utilizing a 14" blade. If I were you, I would keep both saws and have them setup back to back. You could have The model 72 is great for ripping or cutting plywood as the blade is approximately 20 inches from the front of the saw there is plenty of support for a 4x8 sheet of plywood. The Unisaw would be better for cutting box joints, tenons etc. You could keep a dado blade in one saw and a rip/plywood blade in the other saw. The 72 would cut 12/4 hardwood like butter. If I had to choose one saw I would take the 72 over the 66 or Unisaw. Just my thoughts.

Umm...why isn't it already in your shop? That statement should be an indication of my opinion...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had a 60s PM72, which was only a 12" blade. I think you will be astounded by the size and build of the 72 compared to a 10" saw. It's so much bigger/heavier etc. I dont think either saw is perfect for all things. I appreciate the pm72 more than my unisaw, because i often ripped 8/4 for islands and countertops. The extra infeed space to the blade was especially helpful for ripping longer lengths. It was a little less comfortable to operate for joinery operations, but thats because im 5'11", and i had it raised 3"+ so i could move it with a pallet jack. If it was set directly on the ground, then the added infeed depth wouldnt be as much of a concern relative to my height. The blades are expensive and the dado sets are also expensive.

If anything, sell the PM72, should easily fetch $2k.

My vote is for the 12 inch saw.
    Aj

I just brought the cabinet of my ‘69 72 into my shop after paint. Looking forward to reassembling and putting it to use!

I’m not worried about the distance the blade is from the operator. I’m 6’1” and my saw will actually be raised about 3” to a better working height. I’m addition one of the reasons I got it was to increase cross cut capacity - which is annoyingly small on my Unisaw.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

I had a Unisaw for years and then found a Delta 12/14 which is essentially the same as the PM72. Spinning a 14" Tenryu rip blade it cuts like nobody's business. I like the mass and the size of the table. I also had a mobile base welded up locally with heavy duty casters on it so if I do need to move it I can. The mobile base wasn't as expensive as you think, maybe in the $200 range. I lifted it using a couple 4x4's across the trusses in the garage with a come a long! Set it down on the mobile base and went back to work!
    Yes the blades cost more but not outrageously more. The 5hp motor and larger blade give you a better tooth geometry and you'll notice it in the finish quality. One reason old Olivers and Tannewitz's had 16" blades.

I have a Powermatic 72 with a 3 phase 7 1/2 hp motor.

I use a 12" 60 tooth combination blade on it for ripping. It leaves a nice finish on hardwood. I like the 15 degree hook angle. The saw doesn't seem to need a rip blade in order to rip 8/4 Sapele and White Oak with a stock feeder.

Having a 14" blade is handy, too. I made a sled for the saw to miter 12/4 moldings.

The fence that came with the saw was some kind of parallelogram thing with missing parts. I couldn't give it away. The Beisemeyer fence was worth it.

I have the Delta 12/14 version of that saw. I unbolted the plinth which lower the saw about 5". This has no effect on the structure of the machine Then I raised it up almost exactly 5" with a shop made mobile base.
    Bill D