Thread: Should I wax the details?

Should I wax the details?

We bought this, and others similar to it, while stationed overseas. This one is a little over 8 ft wide and over 7 ft tall. It's time to give it a fresh coat of wax. We just had the floors done and had to empty most of them, so it's a good time. I have typically just waxed the flat surfaces, but wonder if I should be waxing the engravings/carvings as well. I'm not quite sure how to do that without a buildup or going at it with a q-tip. Anyone have any thoughts? Does it need it and if so some suggestions would be great?

IMG1.jpgIMG2.jpg

Robert,

You might mention what type of wax you use.

I haven’t worked with furniture like that but I do make woodturnings with texture and carving, on a much smaller scale. I use microcrystalline wax on most pieces, both newly finished and to freshen up older work. I always apply wax to the details.

I usually use Renaissance Wax applied to most surfaces with a soft cloth. To apply to details like carving and carved textures I use a brush to distribute a small amount of wax. The brush is a small glue brush, sometimes called an acid brush. I apply a very small amount but with moderate vigor to make sure all wood is coated lightly. Then as the wax dries to a haze I buff lightly with a clean, soft cloth for a soft sheen. This, of course, won’t get into crevasses of carved areas but will hit the tops to a nice effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    We bought this, and others similar to it, while stationed overseas. This one is a little over 8 ft wide and over 7 ft tall. It's time to give it a fresh coat of wax. We just had the floors done and had to empty most of them, so it's a good time. I have typically just waxed the flat surfaces, but wonder if I should be waxing the engravings/carvings as well. I'm not quite sure how to do that without a buildup or going at it with a q-tip. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sure, I would wax it . Wouldn’t want it to wane. What an unusual design !
    Extravagant as an Eagle Scout project done with ambitious zeal and Official Scout
    Knife. On that would I wood use Johnson’s Wax. I’ve had my can for many years, not sure I will live long enough to “polish it off”. Would use soft old tooth brushes , small pieces of cotton cloth, tooth picks ,and a brand new shoe shine brush with a stern warning written on it
    saying “ To be used ONLY on the big carved cupboard “.

Blog Entries
    Get some Gillboys wax and wax it. Use a fine bristled toothbrush to wax it, and a clean one to take the wax off, then buff it with a cotton swab. (Just talking about the details- wax the rest as you normally would.)

On surfaces not easily buffed with a rag I will use a shoe polish brush. The ones with horsehair bristles. Works great. If that won't fit I've used a soft bristle toothbrush.

Applying the wax, I've softened or melted a bit and paint it on. Acid brushes were mentioned above and they work very well for this in small areas. I did a larger textured area of a carved panel on an oak chest using melted wax (left the can in the sun) and a "chip brush". Probably a 2" brush but they are available in all kinds of sizes.

If it was cold in the work area I might pull out a heat gun and use it on low (!) to help move the wax around. Haven't needed to do this but it would require care and patience so as not to get things too hot.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Thanks for the inputs and suggestions. I had a can of wax given to me by the dealer in Belgium I was using. Unfortunately it dried up during a move. I couldn't find it in the US, so I'm going with Minwax Finishing wax. I did a smaller piece and the flat surfaces on two of the larger pieces. They came out really nice. I guess I need to suck it up and break out the toothbrushes and shoe brush. Good idea on the shoe brush. Hopefully it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    …I had a can of wax given to me by the dealer in Belgium I was using. Unfortunately it dried up during a move. …
    If you still have the dried wax you might try restoring it with a solvent (like mineral spirits): soaking, stirring, and maybe some gentle heat.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If you still have the dried wax you might try restoring it with a solvent (like mineral spirits): soaking, stirring, and maybe some gentle heat.
    Unfortunately no. There wasn't a whole lot left, so not a great loss.