Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: progress on shop front

Not much time to work on this today, but I did fit, paint, and install the gable trim boards that fit down on the standing seams. You might have to compare this picture to a previous one to see that anything has been done. I had some treated decking boards in the leftovers pile that had been drying for years, so they seemed like the best thing to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BIL and SIL came back to spend some time with us, so Harry helped me get back to work on this. We painted the gable T1-11 panels yesterday, and installed them this morning. Hopefully, we'll get the trim boards up this afternoon, and be able to take the scaffolding down. It's more work than it looks like for a couple of 72 year old guys.

I was able to get the little roof built by myself, but waited for a ground man to get this done.

Looking really good, Tom!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Better than it did anyway.

We were able to get the scaffolding down and put away just as it started raining. I still have to put the corner boards up, and paint that one board over the doors, but I can easily do those jobs by myself on platform ladders. It was nice to have BIL to help with the scaffolding.

At least it's not an embarrassing eyesore any more, and the doors operate easily and safely.

I really wanted to add to the overhang, and some timber brackets to hold it to dress up the front more, but I have other more important jobs to do which require use of the tools I have in that building, so we're letting it go like this until I can do better later. I could barely squeeze into the doors with the scaffolding up, and no way to get tools I need out.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-29-2023 at 12:18 PM.

Wow, what a transformation! How is the inside coming?

The inside is still a jumbled up, overpacked mess, and will be until I build an addition onto the left side and around the back. The plan is to put a 24x56 woodworking shop on the left, a 16x24 machine shop across the back, and build a separate shed for the tractor that normally stays in there. There are other projects ahead of those though. Have to do some updates to rental property first.

The weather finally gave me a day good enough to paint outside, so I put the corner boards up, painted them, and painted the board over the doors. Small changes made a big difference. I'm going to call that finished, and move on to something else.

That look REALLY good, Tom. 'Hope you get to move to the interior and additional space sometime soon!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very cool! Those horizontal and vertical boards merging into the white X-frame make it an optical illusion that horizontal boards are running behind the vertical boards (or vice versa).

Well done, look'n good on the outside! Inside next?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Very cool! Those horizontal and vertical boards merging into the white X-frame make it an optical illusion that horizontal boards are running behind the vertical boards (or vice versa).
    The doors are 10' square. That was the only pattern I could use with T1-11 that wouldn't have butt joints.

Other jobs ahead of it. We have a two acre point on the lake that I need to get ready to rent for weddings. There is a two bathroom building on it that I have gutted, and need to build two completely tiled bathrooms in. Starting back on that tomorrow.

I have a mountain of compost that I need to build a vibrating screen for because I can't buy one like I want. I took most of the trees off the point, and now need to get it covered in grass. The ground is so poor that I need to put a couple of inches of screened compost on it to get grass to grow.

I only work by myself these days, having to spend half my time waiting on my almost 107 year old Mother, so can only work for a little while at the time, and not more than a couple of hundred yards from the house. I put 438 miles on my truck last year, and most of that here on our place.

Hopefully by next Fall I can start on the addition to this building, but I have a Long list of stuff people want me to do on old houses, so I have to work it all in by priority.

I just needed to improve the looks of this building because we are starting to rent a lake house right across the road from it.

The point is bigger than it looks in this picture. It's about 600 feet long from the base. You can see the bare dirt, and little bathroom house on it.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-07-2023 at 4:03 PM.

I "pruned" those 2,000 azaleas a couple of weeks ago with the bushog, so you can see the beach and fire pit area in front of that rental house. I had done a test swath last year to make sure it wouldn't kill them, and all the ones in the test swath came back and even bloomed last Spring. They're all left about 2' high.

So you might see it's not like I need something else to do as badly as I would like to have a nice shop. When I built new spec houses for 33 years, and working on old houses since 2007, the shop was always set up in the houses.

Here's the point after I had taken all the Pine trees off, but before I got rid of the Sweet Gums and Hickories. I left the White Oaks, and a very few Reds. It also shows the old bathroom house left from when it was part of a campground. We lost the best of what topsoil was on it getting up stumps and grading it.

And a picture of some of the compost from where I've been letting lake people dump leaves for 40 years. It's full of very large Earthworms. I could go in the fishing worm business if I didn't have anything else to do. It needs screening though because people dumped stuff other than leaves along with the leaves. It grew grass on top of it 3' tall between times that I could cut it. It's just a few hundred yards from the point.