Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: progress on shop front

progress on shop front

It's a slow go setting scaffolding and working off the ground by myself.

This is my mechanic shop. It's a 150 yards from our house, and not exactly out of sight from lake traffic. I'm not sure how long the building has been here, but it was here when we first built here 42 years ago. It's a pole building that I probably should have torn down long ago, but it's filled with too much stuff for me to put anywhere else.

Long story shortened some, this is where I am on the front. The old siding is rotting off of it. I forgot to take a before picture, but there were holes in the right door big enough for someone to crawl through.

I fabricated the hinges with barrels bought off ebay, and 3/8" steel plates. They're through bolted. The 10x10 doors now operate smoothly and quietly, whereas I felt like I was risking my life opening them before.

Sorry the pictures are in reverse order.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-11-2022 at 8:46 AM.

That's going to look very nice when you are complete, Tom.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks-better than it did at least, hopefully.

I have zero dollars in that little roof over the doors. It's completely built from scraps and leftovers. I haven't folded the edge yet, but got the metal on it just in time yesterday before the rain came last night. The plan is to extend the main roof more too, and add something to the design of the gable end, if only some brackets to hold more overhang.

I put thrust bearings on the lowest hinges that can be changed easily.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-11-2022 at 9:52 AM.

I know all too well the challenge of restoring an old building. My 90 year old barn project was a tough job in the middle of the Summer and the repairs were extensive.

I like the your building Tom, can't wait to see your pictures as you progress.

Nicely done Tom.

We are not talking battle lines here. We are talking the actual front of the barn.

Looks good. All barns should be red. It ought to be a law. Boaters passing by might run into the boathouse trying to get a better look.

Blog Entries
    When I saved the barn here at our place, many people asked me "Why not knock it down and start again?". For one, there's character in an old building that's difficult to mimic. Secondly, for those that are resourceful (as Tom is showcasing) it is possible to swap effort instead of dollars for a far less expensive space. And, there's just something cool about being able to say "I saved that".

Also, I agree that old barns ought to be red. Looking forward to more updates!

Barn after reno 2022.jpg
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Beautiful Barns TractorByNet.jpg

This is the back side of my barn after the restoration. The front has two sets of double doors so there are three bays plus the loft. The center and left side bays originally had raised wooden floors, they were removed when the barn was repaired.

I assume the structure is good, so just fixing the doors and giving it a face lift is a lot simpler than starting from scratch. You done a lovely job so far

The structure is good enough that it won't fall down for a long time, but the siding is rotting off of it. Maybe 15 years ago I added a 24x42 foot shed off one side of it to store hay under, but now has other stuff stored under it. Rather than redo the other side, and back, I'm planning to just add onto them too.

The plan is, when I can get to it, to add a 24x56' woodworking shop off the remaining side, and 16' across the back, but the to-do list is years behind on that.

It's so full of stuff that I need more space, but don't have enough other buildings available to put all this stuff in.

If I didn't have 3,000 hours of seat time on that tractor, I probably couldn't even get it in there to park it. I have to back it out to do anything.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-12-2022 at 6:22 PM.

Slowed up on this after having to move my 106 year old Mother back in with us from rehab yesterday, but I did have enough time to finish up the edge of the little standing seam roof this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Slowed up on this after having to move my 106 year old Mother back in with us from rehab yesterday.

I'll have what she's having...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Slowed up on this after having to move my 106 year old Mother back in with us from rehab yesterday, but I did have enough time to finish up the edge of the little standing seam roof this morning.
    She is a marvel ,always enjoy reading your news about her. I’m guessing she probably works less than 20 hours a week these days !

She's been paralyzed on one side for a little over two years from a stroke. She hasn't been able to even turn over in bed since that stroke. 10 weeks ago she dreamed that the cat wanted to go out, so she stood up out of bed(hospital bed with siderails) to let the cat out. We don't have a cat. She couldn't stand up, so fell. Something had started working that hadn't been working.

She was in the hospital from the fall, and in a physical rehab place for over two months after the hospital stay. She's back about like she was before the fall.

I think she understands now that we don't have a cat.

Golly, I remember a post about her enjoying food. Sorry she is having disturbing dreams. For years I had “frustration dreams” . I do one
    thing wrong ,like dropping and losing a favorite nickel. Wake up in a strange place, then recognizing I’m in jail. Knocking over something that knocks
    over something else ….and things escalate til’ I’m in deep debt …because the whole town is destroyed! Woke up once and with both feet on the floor and thought “I’ll pay for all of it, somehow.” the old Dominoes aligned to fall over if even one trips over something type stuff. Told a girlfriend about that and she told me
    about the old treatment for “ night mares “ Chamomile tea. You might remember Peter Rabbit’s mom used to give it to him! Product was
    Sleepy Time chamomile tea. I would let it steep 5 minutes or more ,take it to side of bed and guzzle it down. Asleep in minutes, and enjoying
    pleasant dreams. Please let her know she has “fans” wishing her well.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-16-2022 at 11:55 PM.