Thread: Downsizing…oh my!

Downsizing…oh my!

My wife and I have decided to sell our place and move about 140 mi W by our daughter. The heat, dryness and fire danger have worn thin and we are going to move a bit closer to the coast. Our place is not big but does require a good bit of effort to stay up with it and I’d rather spend the time in the shop over dealing with the place. I think I will need a few spells from Harry Potter to collapse my dedicated 1000 sq ft shop into a two car garage, but that is what is afoot. Interesting standing in the shop going “this stays, this goes.” Fortunately my daughter who lives close to us has a barn I can store my assorted wood in. We did mill up most of the walnut from the tree I recently took down, demonstrating a remarkable sense of timing. I’m sure others have gone through this. Much obliged for any suggestions.

Did the downsize thing a year and a half ago and yes, it's been a challenge with the temporary gara-shop for sure. Fortunately, I was able to finally build a shop building and hope to move into it soon. But using the smaller space (about 440 sq ft) was "instructive". If I didn't have the 4x4 CNC (which has a much larger footprint than 4x4) I probably could have worked relatively normally with the tools I own and prefer with the glaring challenge to finishing because of space.

My simple suggestion is to think about this in a "smart" and practical way. For example, a J/P combo can provide big-machine capacities in a compact space, for example. If you have one...keep it. If you have separates, consider the combo and don't worry about "change over", etc...think through workflow. (Frankly, I prefer it even in a big shop space 'cause I like wide) Embrace a "tool corral" for things you use less often and make them mobile. Park 'em when you don't need them and bring them out when you do. Small space requires care with infeed/outfeed for machines, so when you group stationary tools, so so in a way that affords more flexible space around without causing issue with the typical lengths of material you work with. And if you currently mill long boards before cutting them down, reverse that a bit...cut them down and then mill them. That's a lot more compatible with smaller spaces and sometimes has an advantage when there's a twist or bow...shorter boards are easier to remediate.

Obviously, if you have a bunch of "really huge" tools, you'll probably need to make some changes. When that is the case, turn them into cash before you move and buy replacement(s) once you're at the other end. There's no sense in moving something you don't intend to keep.

Storing material and other things outside the shop space is pretty valid. Using your daughter's barn initially absolutely makes sense if it's available to you and don't be afraid to consider your own small outbuilding on the new property (if permitted) to do the same going forward. Yes, it's less convenient, but it's functional and allows the shop space you have to be more fully utilized for making stuff. I've done that here for well over a year with a 10x10 flexible building/tent on a platform for my lumber with sheet goods in the shed next to it. While I look forward to moving the stuff into the new building, if I did have to stay in the garage, I'd be fine with the external storage.

I'll be honest, if I had to stay in the 21x21 "garage" to continue woodworking, I'd seriously consider a full combo machine. But that's not everyone's cup of tea.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We haven’t bought this place yet, but will find out soon. Real estate is such a joy. We will make a move so we are all ready getting our heads wrapped around smaller and cleaning out. My wife is making progress all ready. I walk out into the shop and my eyes at start rolling in different directions. I will keep my GO490 Grizzly jointer, 735, BX14, PCS with router extension and my 211 welding machine. All are mobile. I will disposed of my horiz band saw, Boggs shaving horse, plasma machine, welding table, two benches, one rolling tool box and mass quantities of hardware, hand tools and other…stuff. Just the assorted pipe valves and fittings I will give to a couple local plumber friends will gladden some hearts. My 1.5 hp Grizzly cyclone will go also in favor of the Harvey, per your suggestion. I will take half of my vertical lumber storage rack so a 4’ section. Most of my routers, drills, etc currently fit on a 6x6x2’ heavy rolling shelf that will go with us. Your suggestion on combo machines makes sense, Jim, but I want to see how the numbers work out first. The 490 is a barge, but a really nice machine. We’ll see.
    I think I have told two people that our place is going on the market and I’ve had calls from 4 other people wanting to buy my two Kubotas The 2660 will go to my daughter and the BX23 will be sold. I’m not going to take even our lawn mower or assorted lawn trimmers, chain saws. I’ll go electric on those. It is an interesting process but seems an insurmountable task. Onward!

You should get really good money for the BX-23, Jack...great machine with some improvements over my older BX-22, especially the method that the backhoe connects. (Which is one big reason why I never remove mine)
    --

I've moved multiple times. Each time I have a big roll off dumpster delivered and I spend a month or so filling it up. When moving I use the phrase "If it's broke and needing repair, or something waiting for a project" I toss it. Obviously if it can be sold even better, but I don't move broken or things I have accumulated that "might" come in handy some day. Someday just never comes. Then when i get moved and all set up again I start the pack rat syndrome all over.
    The Plane Anarchist

Agreed, Leigh. Honestly the hardest part of the move is deciding what will go and then figuring out how to dispose of what won’t. I think we will end up moving less than 40% of what we have currently. I’m going to go to the various charity orgs and see who will come out to pick up a pretty large load of very useful “stuff.” The stuff designation is interesting. We went through this when we closed up my folks and in-laws homes when they passed. You organize it and try to find a good home for it, being willing to give it away and no one wants it. China, My MIL had 3 sets of beautiful china and no one wanted it. Hence, you give up the attachment and you get rid of the “stuff.”

Jack, I off-loaded a lot of things to the ReStore and they picked up the big stuff. It's nice to get the tax deduction, too, if you happen to itemize.
    --

Well, it is game on. We are in escrow. We granted a rent back for the current owners so we will not move until about 2/15. I need every bit of that time to get this place sold, and reduce the stuff.

I hope it will all come out well for you in the end. It sounds like a big job. Have you considered an online auction for some of the bigger items? It seems like things mostly bring pretty good prices on those around here, anyway.

When we moved this year we downsized from a 180 acre farm and living in a converted barn of 7000 square feet to a .23 acre lot and a less than 1000 square foot house, but the heated shop size went up slightly. A lot of the stuff we left behind is for things we don't do anymore. We still have gardens, but no fields or woodlots to maintain, for instance, so I don't need a tractor anymore. I also sold my 15" planer, since I didn't have room for it and it wasn't that great anyway. No more livestock, or sawmill, and on and on. I miss some of those things, in some ways, but I also hope to have more free time to do the things I want to do more of, like building instruments and hiking and paddling, so overall I'm glad to have made the change.

Zachery, I am sure it will be fine. Our decision happily made together, so you make of it what you will, eh? Your downsize was rather monumental in comparison. I will spend time on the Petaluma River in my Adirondack Guide Boat, which is more appropriate to your location. Otherwise, in the shop and there is excellent local hiking and 15 min to Bodega. Better to make these types of moves when you are able and still capable of enjoying them. The grands, 6 & 8, can walk to the house from school. I really have only one question. How the heck am I going to get all my gear into that two care garage