Thread: Outfeed adjustment on Delta 37-301 8" jointer

Lightbulb Outfeed adjustment on Delta 37-301 8" jointer

Hi everyone!

I've got an old Delta 37-301 8" Potbelly jointer. The jointer does not have gibs or a bushing system to assist with outfeed table adjustment. It appears to be manufactured prior to an adjustment system design implementation by delta. The outfeed sags a good bit. I plan on making the outfeed coplanar to the infeed by shimming at the lower end of both dovetail ways on the outfeed side with brass shimstock.

Can anyone tell me if my plan is sound? Am I missing something here?

I also considered getting some accurate measurements and having the infeed milled/resurfaced to coplanar.

I can't imagine shimming is going to be an easy task, but if I have to throw a few things around the shop in frustration I'm okay with it as long as I'm working toward something that has potential to work.

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks!

Here is one being restored
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ_Lbiw0K0w

I find it puzzling that yours has no adjustment, too old?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Here is one being restored
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ_Lbiw0K0w

I find it puzzling that yours has no adjustment, too old?

As do I. The title of the video that you linked names the jointer 37-301A. Assuming revision A included gibs and table locks. The attached PDF in the link to follow is the original 37-301, the model I own.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs...l.aspx?id=1552

Thanks
    Last edited by David Hingle; 11-09-2022 at 5:39 PM.

I have an old Monarch 24" planer with no gib screws. I fought knife setting for years until I got a set of magnetic knife holders. Now, instead of an hour it takes 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I have an old Monarch 24" planer with no gib screws. I fought knife setting for years until I got a set of magnetic knife holders. Now, instead of an hour it takes 10 minutes.

Thanks Bradley, but not quite my struggle. I need to make the two tables on my jointer coplanar. They are slightly angled relative to each other making my product irregular. I have a byrd helical cutter head and have no problem with setting blades.

Check over at Owwm site. Someone will have the answer. Mike

Blog Entries
    What you are proposing is exactly what I did on my Rockwell Delta Milwaukee 62-3828 6" jointer. It made a world of difference. I placed short shims under the bottom of the angled dovetail slide to raise the outer end of the out feed table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I did one a long time ago. I bought feeler gauges, and cut the leaves out. That gives you more good measurements to cut down on the guesswork.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    What you are proposing is exactly what I did on my Rockwell Delta Milwaukee 62-3828 6" jointer. It made a world of difference. I placed short shims under the bottom of the angled dovetail slide to raise the outer end of the out feed table.

Thanks Lee and others for comments. Glad to hear it worked well for you. I'll probably post in OW too, just in case I may be missing a built in adjustment.

When you replaced the head did you pull the tables off completely? I’ve heard that crud can build at the top of the ways I’ve not had this problem myself. Even a small amount of dirt or swarf can mess with table alignment
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 11-11-2022 at 9:12 AM.
    Aj