Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Dewalt DW735 with defective blades what would you do

New Dewalt DW735 with defective blades what would you do

Got this from Acme Tool. Love the planer, my 2nd one. Big nick in one of the blades and it is leaving lines and there are also smaller lines on 1st set of two boards I planed. Acme offered return replace/credit of complete unit. I asked blades only, no response, two days. Contacted dewalt, no response 3 days. What would you do?
    Brian

Turn the blades around to the other edge. Order a new set. You'll need them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Turn the blades around to the other edge. Order a new set. You'll need them anyway.
    I've got spare blades. Just feel like it should have good blades. I hate giving In, but how much aggravation is it worth. Thanks for being a voice of reason. Brian

Two or three days isn't that long, many companies are struggling with staff shortages. I'd give them a few more days and follow up with them. If no satisfaction from Acme I'd follow Myk's advice and unless their pricing was significantly better than the competition, I'd buy them elsewhere. Ditto for Dewalt, assuming aftermarket blades are available and of comparable quality.

It is frustrating these days as companies struggle with staffing and supply shortages and unreliability in shipping. I would push Acme. They are the ones that sold you the planer and I think they are responsible. However, I guess it would depend on how long ago you bought the planer from Acme. If it's within the warranty period but awhile since you bought the planer, then maybe Dewalt is the correct remedy. At any rate, if it's important to get the blades replaced and Acme has offered to replace the planer, take it. It might be that Acme is only able to replace the whole purchased item, not just parts.

Sounds like they shipped you someone elses return or a demo machine. Was the box factory sealed?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I would call Dewalt's CS to resolve this. They generally are good at responding. I recently had a DW618 router come in with only one collet. It fell apart in my hands when I took it out of the box. Call DW and they are sending me two new collets. Staff shortages and supply issues have screwed many companies lately. It's difficult to find anyone to work They all feel like they are worth $75+ an hour. Just look at the fast food industry. They can't hire burger flippers for less than $18 an hour anymore. Give DW another call. I'm sure they will fix it for you.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

This is why I no longer buy anything Dewalt. Lousy customer service. I am still waiting for backordered bearings from 8 years ago.

I would tell Dewalt to start using only genuine M-2 or T-1 steel. The there are only 2 or 3 GOOD disposable products and none of them are
    made of good steel. Some other company might already have some made for your planer.

Go to a BigBox store and buy another set and return the defective ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Go to a BigBox store and buy another set and return the defective ones.
    Am I hearing you correctly? Sounds like you are suggesting he commit fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Sounds like they shipped you someone elses return or a demo machine. Was the box factory sealed?
    +1. Exactly what I was thinking.

And I wouldnt give up yet. Press Acme.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Another vote for pushing Acme Tool. I've been happily buying from them for 10+ years but lately their customer service has been heading downhill---fast. Slow and somewhat unresponsive. Might want to start working up the chain of command to get results.

Acme is a good company IMHO. I suspect Acme may be in a tough position. I.e. if the machine is "defective", the may take back the entire machine, and return to manufacturer. They may also just have internal processes that, for them, keep it simple, just replace anything defective or return for a credit. Your issue with the blades are strait forward, however, processes are writing in "general" and having their CS start advising you what to do on a product or shipping you spare parts may lead to liability etc. As sad as it is, I'd probably just send them back the unit and get a replacement.

send the complete unit back for replacement OR buy a set of knives out of pocket and go on
    ACME probably is set up to replace EXACTLY WHAT YOU BOUGHT NO MORE NO LESS