Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No More Retail Sales

Blog Entries
    George,
    I've been buying from Chewbarka since 2017. Not a lot, but I've a couple of customers who are repeat tag purchasers and I buy for them.
    I do NOT think you really realize how incredibly difficult on line sales tax collecting is. AND expensive. You think that you just have one rate for each state? NO. In just Arkansas, each municipality can levy a tax. Each county can levy a tax all on top of the base state tax rate. In the month of October alone, there were 18 changes. Since the election this week, a LOT of the counties and cities had ballot measures to change rates. I would expect the next letter to have 50 or more changes. This is JUST little Arkansas. Multiply by 50 states and 100,000 municipalities and counties nationwide. It would be a full time job just to maintain a database of this. And the software is expensive. Yes it only applies to large companies, and I guess Chewbarka has hit that threshold.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    George,
    I've been buying from Chewbarka since 2017. Not a lot, but I've a couple of customers who are repeat tag purchasers and I buy for them.
    I do NOT think you really realize how incredibly difficult on line sales tax collecting is. AND expensive. You think that you just have one rate for each state? NO. In just Arkansas, each municipality can levy a tax. Each county can levy a tax all on top of the base state tax rate. In the month of October alone, there were 18 changes. Since the election this week, a LOT of the counties and cities had ballot measures to change rates. I would expect the next letter to have 50 or more changes. This is JUST little Arkansas. Multiply by 50 states and 100,000 municipalities and counties nationwide. It would be a full time job just to maintain a database of this. And the software is expensive. Yes it only applies to large companies, and I guess Chewbarka has hit that threshold.
    FYI I had a website and sold online for a while, its no big deal to collect the sales tax and if your computer savvy enough you can setup the software. Your only required to collect the State tax, not the city or county for Online sales. If you have an presence in the State you are required to collect city and county taxes.

A little online searching and there is some help for you; https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips...lers/L4uTQCaIx

And another....https://business.adobe.com/blog/basi...ales-tax-guide

Or https://www.ecommerceceo.com/online-sales-tax/
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-11-2022 at 1:27 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Roger I spend thousands of dollars online shopping every year. I can buy off Amazon or eBay anytime I want at lower prices than Chewabarka, I was giving them the business because they are USA based. If they are not smart enough to get setup to collect sales tax its their loss. They are the first and only business I have ran into that does this?? Can you name the ones your talking about?
    My local HVAC supplier (Johnstone Supply) sells only to businesses, buying a spray gun from Homestead Finishing I had to go through his Ebay store because of the sales tax thing, my supplier of pipe organ parts will deal only with businesses. There are countless B2B companies that deal only "to the trade".

Sure, it's their loss not to pick up retail sales, but presumably they've done the calculation and it would cost them more to comply with the sales tax laws than they stand to make from those sales. Most folks buying parts in large numbers are presumably doing it for resale and would have the appropriate tax certificate, so they may not lose many sales.

Sure local business require sales tax, they have a presence in that State.

But FYI there is No Federal law requiring a business selling online to collect sales tax for each State, (yet) unless they have a presence or nexus in that state. State sales tax collection is up to that state not the Feds. Most states have a cut in for tax collection at say $100,000 in sales and that varies, for online sales in that state. Once you apply for a state sales tax permit, that state can audit your books to enforce. But if you don't apply they have not a clue. Chewabarka does not have a clue either, the response from them is RI law requires, and it does not.

Once again instead of relying on heresay or rumors here is one link that explains it better > https://www.avalara.com/us/en/learn/...slation-2.html

Bill
    There are a number of suppliers who do not sell retail. JDS is my largest supplier and they do not sell retail. They have the idea that selling retail is not in the best interest of their customers.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by

BTW this post [U
    was not about paying Sales Tax,[/U] if you read carefully they want to only sell to sales tax exempt buyers??? I have purchased recently from vendors who did not charge sales tax and I am wondering out loud who is going to enforce that law??
    The I guess you are not a registered business....... Part of your license is a Resales Certificate that provides for purchasing wholesale. But you still need to collect and pay the collected sales tax for all sales within your state..Online or in person.... With a state where most of the tax rates appear to be at 7.0% that can't be that hard to manage..

Glad you looked into the WI tag company. Hope that helps.

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

I buy for example from Aim Surplus, if your a business with a FFL and/or a sales tax permit you pay one price, if your Retail you pay Retail price. Easy and not rocket science. Two prices... very common, and I worked in the HVAC/R trade for many years and have been down that road.

Yes I have purchased from JDS in the past. Does everyone who buys online need to be in business and have a resell permit, I think not?

With less than 1 million in total sales I doubt Chewbarka meets the $100,000 in sales to Iowa therefore they are or can be exempt from collecting tax for online sales to Iowa!

There have been Federal level laws introduced to clean up this mess, but as of today its still in limbo. Bottom line the Feds are not going to enforce local and state laws on sales tax or anything else. Amazon and eBay chose to default and collect from everybody in any state, but the laws are so screwed up others can choose not and nothing can be done, unless the State in question wants to.

PS I have a Sales Tax permit and exempt, but since I am no longer active and in business I do not use to beat the system.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-12-2022 at 12:48 PM.