Thread: Sawstop PCS Dado Insert

Sawstop PCS Dado Insert

I was in Denver this past weekend and visited the Woodcraft store there. I picked up a dado insert for my saw. Any thoughts/suggestions of width of cut to make in the insert? I was planning to go 3/4" thinking that was the widest dado I would probably cut.
    Regards,

Kris

I put all the chippers on and raised the arbor to full height to get the maximum opening. I also bought a blank insert for any time in the future when a zero clearance dado cut was safer or better. The blank insert is still on the shelf two years later in case I need it.

On my SawStop ICS, I have the earlier Colliflower Designs Zero-clearance Insert (ZCI) for SawStop Table
    Saws. Works well and I purchased extra inserts to cut any sized blade kerf or dado width.

Newer design SawStop ZCI and replaceable inserts:

https://www.colliflower-zci.com/store/sawstop

https://www.colliflower-zci.com/stor...-zci-225-width

https://www.colliflower-zci.com/stor...dhj4u6fez9qh7e
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-08-2022 at 6:15 PM.

Be careful about raising the dado set fully with the Sawstop dado insert. Mine somehow contacted some metal, destroying $200 dado set, a dado cartridge, and the insert. Not a cheap mistake.

And, of course, make sure you have the insert firmly held down in a safe fashion. Lots of articles, Youtubes on that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Why not just cut it to whatever width you're going to use it for? You can always make it wider later if needed.

Fine Woodworking, Tools and Shop 2016, pp 58 58 - 61, has an article on shop fabricating table saw inserts.

A shop fabricated insert for a SawStop is a bit different as it requires clearance cut outs on the bottom for it to clear the abror and permit the blades to fully raise. Included was a diagram of the cut out locations and their sizes.

I also use a colliflower but I have not successfully used it for dados. I don't think there is a problem with the colliflower although the wooden sacrificial inserts are very fragile and will be even more so with a 3/4 opening cut into them. They are made of 1/4 MDF. I was worried about the fragile insert and got stupider than normal and held a block of 2x3 over the insert while raising the blade. I lifted it to check progress with the blades running, that caused a kickback, broke the bone in the end of my finger and made a cut that took 6 stitches to close. It's nice to have a SawStop if you get stupid. Only time in about 5 decades of woodworking I've gotten this stupid. But it only takes one time.

Transferable lesson from this story is if you want to back the dado insert do it with a piece of wood clamped in position that you do not move until the blades stop. I knew this but didn't do it.

I also use Colliflower and have a pile of inserts so I can keep a near zero clearance on a dado. I have no issue with a 3/4 dado but i would never raise it all the way up. I only raise the blade as deep as I need the cut.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Thanks all. I don't have any dadoes to cut at the moment but will report back when I cut the new insert.
    Regards,

Kris