Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saw Stop vs. Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I now have a SawStop 3 HP PCS. It popped up on FB marketplace a few weeks ago and I jumped on it. It wasn't the steal of the century but it was a good value. SS sliding crosscut table and folding outfeed table...

I don't want to worry about the potential of any of them ever being injured or maimed for life over a couple thousand dollars. I can also tell you that I still use caution any time my hands or fingers are remotely close to the blade. I don't want to be the guy that the system failed on. So my vote is for the safety feature and you get a great saw with it. I still detest the way they tried to force them on everyone. A good idea sells itself.
    I felt the same way about how Gauss went about the marketing, but I also understand the industry "giants" at the time were not really willing to barter with him over royalties.

That being said it sounds like you got quite the deal on your saw; definite gloat. I waited 4 years to find one on CL in Seattle. One came up new in to the box, as a guy had bought two for his business and then had a change of plans. I saved the sales tax. Love the saw and after getting hurt in several accidents over the years, I didn't want to spend my retirement worrying about a table saw injury for myself or my friends that come over to learn from me. My chop saw is way more dangerous than my table saw is now.

Congrats Ron!

Earlier this year when I started thinking about replacing my Ridgid R4511 saw I looked at both Harvey and Sawstop. I liked the cheaper price and some of the features on the Harvey's but the almost universal praise for the Sawstop was also a draw. As I was getting my Ridgid cleaned up and ready to sell, I noticed my bevel adjust wheel was cracked. Since I had a lifetime warranty on the saw, I called Ridgid and was told that despite the warranty, that part was no longer available. Turns out a lot of the replacement parts were no longer available. Thankfully Ebay had one; but that got me thinking. You frequently hear about people on the forum fixing older saws, Powermatic, Delta, etc. that are decades old. What about these new (or relatively new) brands?

I emailed Sawstop and asked them about replacement parts and they said they said they still had parts available for their first saws from 2004 and would continue to have them. I emailed Harvey and didn't get a response. I don't know if Harvey's lack of response was actually an answer, or just poor customer service. In the end, Sawstop's response, the positive feedback on the web, along with being able to actually see and play with the saw at multiple dealers, helped make my decision. I was also able to use the safety feature of the SS as a selling point to my wife, though that was secondary in my decision.

I went with the Harvey. Couldn't pass it up. Plus, the added safety in what I know about me simply wasn't worth it. All saws are inherently dangerous and my table saw isn't the worst offender.
    I can't imagine how many brakes and blades I would go through either. I don't know how many times I've hit hidden staples, or nicked a jig... I would set that thing off probably once a month 🤣.