Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop vs. Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I was looking on the Harvey site at their saw. It looks well thought out and well made. Today I was looking at a Saw Stop just because it was on display at a store, and I wasn’t as impressed with the fit and finish as I was with the Harvey. I once cut the tip of my thumb off with a table saw, but I am not rushing out to buy a saw stop. This thread is going to quickly deteriorate between those that think you HAVE to buy one just because it has a safety feature, and those like me that are looking more for a saw that doesn’t have the complicated brake system. Anyway, even without that, I was really impressed with the Harvey. If I didn’t already have two cabinet saws, I would likely go with Harvey.
    I am not so sure why so many people think the brake is complicated. It is just in there and stops the blade if there is a contact made. You change the brake, send your blade for replare or replace it and move on to the next cut in your project. It takes all of 2 minutes to change the brake or switch out to the dado. It is not complicated.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

This times 100. Blades are cheap compared to visits to the ER. The only new saws I'd consider would be a SawStop {or similar if and when available} or a slider.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Did anyone end up buying a Harvey? I'm close... big sale they're having ends tonight at midnight PST I think...
    I'm looking at the HW110S-36P $2549... says regular price $3599 but I'm pretty sure I saw it for $2999...either way it's significant.

Happy Holidays!
    I bought one earlier this year and love it. Once one of my son in laws saw it, he ordered one. Neither of us had any issues with assembly, although one of us put the fence tape measure on incorrectly (hint: it wasn’t my son in law]. Harvey customer service was great and sent out a new tape at no charge.

FWIW:

Harvey: China
    SawStop: Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I would pick the saw that doesn’t accidentally destroy a good cutting blade.
    ...fingers be damned!

Always interesting responses any time Sawstop is mentioned. I recently had an Oops with mine and ruined a cartridge and Freud blade. I told my chief financial officer what happened and the cost to replace. She said no problem and happy I have that saw.

I could care less about the cost of a blade and will trade that for my safety. Others may feel differently and that is OK as safety is a personal issue.

Well, I converted to a sawstop earlier this year and have posted before that this appears to be the year of table saw accidents. I’ve seen more finger cut posts this year than any before that I can remember. in fact, on the small workshop page on facebook, someone posted a finger cut that would almost make you vomit and it was from that one time in 35 years that the table saw bit them. Anyway, as much as I liked my prior saws, I’m starting to feel pretty thankful for my sawstop and hope it does it’s job if I ever have a slip up.

I just cannot fathom why anyone would say, "Yeah, not cutting off your finger is cool and all, but its an extra $200." That $200 seems like money NOT well saved. Especially when someone explained to me that its almost always a pro who gets tired/sloppy at the end of the day...if it can happen to that guy who runs a table saw all day, it can DEFINITELY happen to me.

If its a complete non starter, get a Unisaw or whatever for $500. Don't spend $3000 on the one that's perfectly serviceable but definitely will cut your fingers off.

But then again, I'm a bit of a simpleton.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Always interesting responses any time Sawstop is mentioned. I recently had an Oops with mine and ruined a cartridge and Freud blade. I told my chief financial officer what happened and the cost to replace. She said no problem and happy I have that saw.

I could care less about the cost of a blade and will trade that for my safety. Others may feel differently and that is OK as safety is a personal issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    I just cannot fathom why anyone would say, "Yeah, not cutting off your finger is cool and all, but its an extra $200." That $200 seems like money NOT well saved. Especially when someone explained to me that its almost always a pro who gets tired/sloppy at the end of the day...if it can happen to that guy who runs a table saw all day, it can DEFINITELY happen to me.

If its a complete non starter, get a Unisaw or whatever for $500. Don't spend $3000 on the one that's perfectly serviceable but definitely will cut your fingers off.

But then again, I'm a bit of a simpleton.
    I had to lump these two together since there is a cost basis and safety in both posts. I also see so many posts on other WW msgs boards about table saw mishaps, and sometimes some bloody messy pictures OR 'thank god I have a sawstop, showing a tiny nick' I don't give two craps about the cost of a blade or cartridge. First off, the cartridge is replaced free by sawstop if it's a flesh contact (if I remember correctly). The blade, well, so I sent it back to ridge or forrest and see if it's repairable, or if it's a less costly blade, toss it. Even if it ends up costing me 150 bucks for a new blade, I didn't just spend a lifetime with a hand injury. And the potential money I save on medical bills, downtime and worse, if i can't do my job anymore.

I agree with what James says, money not well saved, and I will add on top of that, penny wise, pound foolish!

I was presiding in my Courtroom several years ago when the inventor of the Sawstop, Dr. Steve Glass, testified the table saw industry in the US was approximately worth $400 million, but the injuries caused by table saws caused $2 billion in injuries every year…. He was not cross examined on that, so the fact was admitted by the other party. That kind of statistic sure has stuck with me. (He also explained the science behind the saw and if anyone is interested - I remember what he said.)

Caused me to buy a 3 hp PCS with the 52” fence. Well, my fit and finish was perfect, it was easy to put it together, and I bought an Incra 1000 SE Sled that makes it sing on cross cutting (with perfect angles - even good for making good picture frames), a Forest Blade that rip cuts as good as my jointer on edges, a Dewalt Dado set that allows me to be happy to make through tenons again (changing the brake is a cinch - harder to set the width of the cut). Guess what I am saying is this Sawstop is a wonderful and safe addition for me - its fence is an accurate joy and the long table enables me to accurately cut 3/4” 13 ply furniture grade plywood - cherry or oak. I should also add that its dust collection is pretty good hooked up to my Oneida Dust Gorilla - even at the end of the line.
    Last edited by Thomas Pender; 11-29-2022 at 1:42 PM. Reason: Adding thought

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pender View Post
    I was presiding in my Courtroom several years ago when the inventor of the Sawstop, Dr. Steve Glass, testified the table saw industry in the US was approximately worth $400 million, but the injuries caused by table saws caused $2 billion in injuries every year…. He was not cross examined on that, so the fact was admitted by the other party. That kind of statistic sure has stuck with me. (He also explained the science behind the saw and if anyone is interested - I remember what he said.)

Caused me to buy a 3 hp PCS with the 52” fence. Well, my fit and finish was perfect, it was easy to put it together, and I bought an Incra 1000 SE Sled that makes it sing on cross cutting (with perfect angles - even good for making good picture frames), a Forest Blade that rip cuts as good as my jointer on edges, a Dewalt Dado set that allows me to be happy to make through tenons again (changing the brake is a cinch - harder to set the width of the cut). Guess what I am saying is this Sawstop is a wonderful and safe addition for me - its fence is an accurate joy and the long table enables me to accurately cut 3/4” 13 ply furniture grade plywood - cherry or oak. I should also add that its dust collection is pretty good hooked up to my Oneida Dust Gorilla - even at the end of the line.
    Thomas,

If I didn't already have a 3hp pcs, this post would make me buy one. You should get some royalties from SawStop

One thing to keep in mind when you compare the Harvey vs Saw Stop - the Harvey has a 31” deep table, with approx 13” from the front of the table to the front of the blade. To get the deeper table, you have to get the ISC Saw Stop - the PSC has the standard 26” table depth. After using a deeper table on a saw (newer Delta Unisaw and Powermatic), I wouldn’t go back to a 26” depth top. Makes a huge difference. So if you are looking at going with SS, look at the ICS when comparing saws with the Harvey (or Powermatic).

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    One thing to keep in mind when you compare the Harvey vs Saw Stop - the Harvey has a 31” deep table, with approx 13” from the front of the table to the front of the blade. To get the deeper table, you have to get the ISC Saw Stop - the PSC has the standard 26” table depth. After using a deeper table on a saw (newer Delta Unisaw and Powermatic), I wouldn’t go back to a 26” depth top. Makes a huge difference. So if you are looking at going with SS, look at the ICS when comparing saws with the Harvey (or Powermatic).
    Doug - this is really good info actually for a compare as not many people think about the blade position on the table right away, or ever. I built a small extension, only about 6 inches that I can easily attach to the front of my sawstop in front of my blade to give me a bit more run space before the blade, and also to help make sure my sled doesn't tip up when I pull it back for cross cutting wider boards. it is crude but works.

One other thing that also makes it hard to provide feedback / recommendations is when the question doesn't come with what a person plans to use the saw for. They might be making things that are many small parts, where the safety is more important than the size of the saw. On the flip side, maybe it's going to be a rip saw, mostly used for ripping down 8 foot long boards where a larger table surface is very useful. Of course the ICS solves both of these concerns so that was a good recommendation.

I now have a SawStop 3 HP PCS. It popped up on FB marketplace a few weeks ago and I jumped on it. It wasn't the steal of the century but it was a good value. SS sliding crosscut table and folding outfeed table. I went through the setup just like I was assembling for the first time. Leveling the wings and then squaring the table and fence to the blade. After all it just completed a 180 mile ride on the back of a 2 wheel trailer. The ease of the squaring up with the jack screws is so convenient. I never used any other cabinet saw so I can't compare to any others. I despise the way they tried to force their product on us. That said I always considered the safety feature to be significant. So I felt that one day I would have one as well. Fit and finish are very good. I've not used it a lot yet but every time I turn it on I have that (ahhhhh) feeling. Smooth and quiet and dust collection is exceptional. Cross cutting nothing seems to escape. Ripping has a little lost above the blade. The original owner did set up the blade guard dust collection which if I will be doing a lot of ripping I will use. I have never saw the Harvey but most people like them. I can also tell you I wouldn't have scrambled to put a wad of cash together on a Sunday afternoon and drove 180 miles to get the Harvey. It's just not anything special and I've saw plenty of cabinet saws within 3-4 hours that I passed on. I also figure there will be times my grandkids will be in my shop and maybe even want to build something. I don't want to worry about the potential of any of them ever being injured or maimed for life over a couple thousand dollars. I can also tell you that I still use caution any time my hands or fingers are remotely close to the blade. I don't want to be the guy that the system failed on. So my vote is for the safety feature and you get a great saw with it. I still detest the way they tried to force them on everyone. A good idea sells itself.

I do enjoy my SawStop, and like others said, it just comes down to whether the added piece of mind is worth the price premium. Still a great saw without the brake feature, but not necessarily at where it's priced.

All that being said, I just tripped my own with a boneheaded move yesterday. Only time in the five years I've had it happen. Switched out to the Dado stack, and didn't adjust the (aluminum) fence on my miter gauge to account for the wider blade. 3/4 of the way through the first cut...BAM! Expensive mistake, but one I'm willing to live with. However, it is pretty amazing to see the thing in action. No damage to the gauge itself and certainly gives me some reassurance should that have been a hand.