Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop vs. Harvey

Question Saw Stop vs. Harvey

Hi,

I'm looking to get a nice table saw. I've narrowed my search to Saw Stop's Cabinet saw and a similar model from Harvey. I've seen the Saw Stop in a couple stores ... but all I've really done is rely on reviews online. Anyone have any feedback? The safety of the saw stop is attractive, but I'd rather have solid, long-lasting construction ... any feedback is appreciated!

I've never had my hands on a Harvey, but I always liked the size of their table specs. I don't know of a brand with a larger table top.

Sawstop is probably the industry leader now? I had a bad experience with their ICS but I'd argue that is not the norm.

Now I have a short stroke slider. I'll never willingly own a cabinet saw again.

No comparison in my book, Sawstop is the purchase to make. A statement from a 50 year woodworker with 9 3/4 fingers.

"but I'd rather have solid, long-lasting construction"

The Sawstop is solid, long-lasting construction. There was nothing about the fit and finish that I had issue with when I owned one.

There were only 2 issues:

I had 3 careless brake firings (because I got my aluminum miter gauge in the path of the blade) in the few years I owned mine. Each time that happens it was $70 for a new brake + the price of a new blade.

Also, a dado stack requires a special brake. The inconvenience of having to swap this was enough to make me stop using dado blades altogether.

But there was nothing in the quality of the saw that was lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    "but I'd rather have solid, long-lasting construction"

The Sawstop is solid, long-lasting construction. There was nothing about the fit and finish that I had issue with when I owned one.

There were only 2 issues:

I had 3 careless brake firings (because I got my aluminum miter gauge in the path of the blade) in the few years I owned mine. Each time that happens it was $70 for a new brake + the price of a new blade.

Also, a dado stack requires a special brake. The inconvenience of having to swap this was enough to make me stop using dado blades altogether.

But there was nothing in the quality of the saw that was lacking.

I agree it's a solid saw. I have a 3.0hp PCS model and I should have bought it 10 years prior when when I did. I however disagree with Prashun on the inconvenience of swapping the brake. It adds 30-45 seconds or so of a blade change, and setting up the dado stack to match the required cut is the time consuming event. With what I have been making the past few months it was a constant switch back and forth between dado and standard brakes and I don't find it an issue at all.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I'd bet either one would fit your needs. If you want the sawstop technology, then buy it. If you don't, then buy the harvey. I have a harvey and like it very much.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I would pick the saw that doesn’t accidentally destroy a good cutting blade.
    Aj

I would pick the saw that doesn’t accidentally destroy my appendages.

I have the 3 hp PCS. Like Prashun I too screwed up and yes it costs a blade and a cartridge. Making those mistakes that cause the brake to trigger prove to me that I can be dumber than a post. They never should have happened. An oversight I tell myself, but at least I won’t have my fingers on the table when I screw up again. Also, are you going to be the sole user of the saw? If others will run it there are liability concerns. I like my PCS a lot.

Lots of great feedback!

Yea, I’m the only user.

Never have seen a Harvey so no comment on it.
    I have a SawStop ICS 5hp, 36" fence with all options available when I bought it in 2014.
    Have yet to feel it needs more power, have not tripped it, have mounted the dado blade set numerous times, takes longer to set blade width than change cartridges.
    Have talked with Tech support and was treated very well.
    Could it be better, of course. Takes more money to buy then.
    Very happy with it, to replace/upgrade would be almost $100,000 for ME. As it is tight in the basement and new slider would need way more space for how I want to use it. SWMBO would get a new addition on the house and the basement shop would grow twice or more. Not moving from here so no new outbuilding for shop. Probably closer to $150,000, time SWMBO got done furnishing new addition and the new 10' slider was down there.
    Ron

I have the Harvey Alpha 4hp 52” fence saw and love it. No issues with it so far. I looked at Saw Stop but to get the larger table size to match the Alpha, you need to get the Saw Stop ICS. Both are great saws so it really comes down to if you want to spend the extra $ for the safety feature. After looking at the saws, I don’t see any difference in the fit and finish, and the Harvey comes with some nice standard items (great miter gage, over blade dust collection to name a few), and good customer support. But it doesn’t have the safety system.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I would pick the saw that doesn’t accidentally destroy a good cutting blade.
    I would gladly pay for saw blades over having 2 surgeries and a finger that aches in the cold weather and has a very high accuracy of predicting storms. Even a $200 saw blade is way cheaper than a month of pain.

That’s a lot of money for a table saw that only spins a 10 inch blade.
    I understand how some people can see themselves cutting off their fingers on a table saw.
    The op should know about the reports of misfires that eat up good blades. I thought it was a fair comment I didn’t mention all the electronic problems.
    5,000 for a 10 inch table saw that’s a lot cabbage
    Aj

The Sawstop is a solid saw with good fit and finish. I will gladly pay for an accidental trip for the added safety. I hear the Harvey is A good saw but no actual experience.

These threads like this have been repeated many times in this forum. There are those who are very happy with their Sawstop and those hate Sawstop.