Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortage or strong demand for used machinery?

Shortage or strong demand for used machinery?

I just sold a Oneway 1640 lathe one day after placing an ad on Craigslist. I'm also noticing machines that were once plentiful on auction sites scarcer. Is this a result of shortages tied to the supply chain problem (less newer stuff therefore people holding onto their old stuff) or a stronger demand?

I think that is true, less now than it was, but prices for new remain very high, so I think more folks are buying used. Brian

The inflation rate is high, supply chain also has issues and with the pandemic we just went through, so many people were home and building out workshops to keep busy. Used machines are still being swept up very quickly since the new market for those machines that are now finally coming into stock have higher prices. One machine I couldn't get during the pandemic is now available and 40% more. That is a pretty steep jump for a sanding machine.

I suspect that in a few years, a lot of people who built up their shops to try out woodworking will potentially change hobbies and start to sell off AND those who stick with it, might outgrow what they purchased and upgrade.

Either way, I have been searching for a drum sander on the used market for a long time. I don't want a problem machine so when I see things like 'such and such needs some maintenance, I pass it over. I just saw a jet 1632 in mint condition show up on craigslist for 1000. New that machine is currently about 1600 after tax. If it was local, i'd most likely grab it but my cost to drive there and back sits at like $400 for gas/tolls/wear and tear, not including an entire day of driving. Someone in Virginia is gonna get a good buy.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I just sold a Oneway 1640 lathe one day after placing an ad on Craigslist. I'm also noticing machines that were once plentiful on auction sites scarcer. Is this a result of shortages tied to the supply chain problem (less newer stuff therefore people holding onto their old stuff) or a stronger demand?

It's BOTH .

I agree it's both.

I seriously think a lot of the supply and demand issues with used tools/equipment is based on ones locale. I quit searching Craigslist locally because the supply was never there, when it was it looked worn out and was overpriced.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Funny, there wa a thread on OWWM and guys were saying they’ve been having a harder time selling things lately. After the boom the past couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Funny, there wa a thread on OWWM and guys were saying they’ve been having a harder time selling things lately. After the boom the past couple years.
    IMHO, the prices for old iron have inflated so much that maybe they are finally hitting the point of pricing themselves out of the market. I love quality old iron, but when I can't find a used shaper for much less than a new one, something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    IMHO, the prices for old iron have inflated so much that maybe they are finally hitting the point of pricing themselves out of the market. I love quality old iron, but when I can't find a used shaper for much less than a new one, something is wrong.
    Matt - both a shortage/strong demand AND old arn not selling can be true at the same time. Lots of flippers , cough, refurbisher's have priced themselves out of the market either through greed or simple economics. They bought the donor too high and/or spent too much time and money making it like new again. In my view the OWWM fellas have always catered to the collector market or well heeled boomers looking for a bit of nostalgia. That market is a lot different than the person looking to buy a tool to do a job - whether that be a hobbyist, part time gig worker, or a small business. Plus, it's shrinking by the day.

Steve hit the nail on the head, the consumer isn't stupid.

I've tried selling a Grizzly cabinet saw and a festool miter saw in KC for several months with little interest. Both in good shape, I think the prices are pretty reasonable, but just not a lot of interest.

It is tight in my shop, but I can see the benefit of two table saws.

If there’s little or no interest , then the market has spoken. It doesn’t really matter what you think , it’s what the market thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    If there’s little or no interest , then the market has spoken. It doesn’t really matter what you think , it’s what the market thinks.
    This is very true, and also the market shifts very quick. Some of the supply chain issues are starting to get relief. One example of this was Grizzly announcing they were having price cuts (or sales, I forgot) as machines started to become available again. Going onto other companies web sites, I am 'available' vs 'backordered' on a good amount of equipment now. So now that new machines are becoming available again, the demand for used machines should actually start to fall off. Once the quantity of used machines available start to stack up as people upgrade to new machines, we should see more available used equipment. That also means used prices might need to come down to make it worthwhile.

Back to market interest, for me to save 20% on a machine to buy used, that I need to figure out how to get out of someone's shop, transported and into my basement shop just isn't worth it. A new machine, on a pallet, with a warranty dropped off in my garage is worth a lot to me, and I am sure others. This doesn't even change much for smaller machines honestly. I see a lot of festool on the market and at least the asking prices are sometimes 80-90% of new. Why would I pay 450 for a used sander that I can get new for 499. (from a recent add on facebook marketplace for an RO90).

always found good used machinery at a fraction of lesser quality new stuff. Even from other cabinetmakers that have used the machines for their lifetime. Only time ive paid high is the odd time I had to go buy a machine to complete a job and then went to a used dealer to get it done fast. Otherwise would have paid a tiny fraction of new. Oh and the first six new machines I bought long ago.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 11-10-2022 at 9:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    This is very true, and also the market shifts very quick. Some of the supply chain issues are starting to get relief. One example of this was Grizzly announcing they were having price cuts (or sales, I forgot) as machines started to become available again. Going onto other companies web sites, I am 'available' vs 'backordered' on a good amount of equipment now. So now that new machines are becoming available again, the demand for used machines should actually start to fall off. Once the quantity of used machines available start to stack up as people upgrade to new machines, we should see more available used equipment. That also means used prices might need to come down to make it worthwhile.

Back to market interest, for me to save 20% on a machine to buy used, that I need to figure out how to get out of someone's shop, transported and into my basement shop just isn't worth it. A new machine, on a pallet, with a warranty dropped off in my garage is worth a lot to me, and I am sure others. This doesn't even change much for smaller machines honestly. I see a lot of festool on the market and at least the asking prices are sometimes 80-90% of new. Why would I pay 450 for a used sander that I can get new for 499. (from a recent add on facebook marketplace for an RO90).
    Ditto. For me, a used machine that will cost half of new replacement cost may be interesting, anything over that is not worth the effort. Cost INCLUDES the hassle of getting it into my shop, sellers usually don't want take that into account. I bought an edgebander for $177 a while back. Cost me $1000 or so to go get it. Cost is not $177.

Rant alert... This is the reason that I will not drive into the Denver area to buy anything as the time wasted to do so is just not worth it. For me, a machine in the Denver area must be much cheaper than a physically further away but simpler logistical option because of the pain and suffering factor. I suspect that applies to many buyers around metro areas. If you want me to buy a machine or materials from someplace that it's hard to get my truck to, the seller needs to figure out a way to get it somewhere away from the traffic for a handoff. For a retired guy not worried about losing a day of time to go get a something, this isn't a big deal for him to deal with. For me, minutes matter, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Rant alert... This is the reason that I will not drive into the Denver area to buy anything as the time wasted to do so is just not worth it. For me, a machine in the Denver area must be much cheaper than a physically further away but simpler logistical option because of the pain and suffering factor. I suspect that applies to many buyers around metro areas. If you want me to buy a machine or materials from someplace that it's hard to get my truck to, the seller needs to figure out a way to get it somewhere away from the traffic for a handoff. For a retired guy not worried about losing a day of time to go get a something, this isn't a big deal for him to deal with. For me, minutes matter, it is.
    Your rant isn't really a rant at all, it's honestly pure fact for many of us. Time cost a fortune that you can never get back. While I get this, for me it's a hobby, and part of the hobby is getting time away from the stress of life, not adding stress. But at the same time, there is a cost / benefit analysis. If i have 6 hours of 'hobby' time this week. I'd rather spend it doing something in the hobby I enjoy. And while I love the excitement of hunting for and finding a new machine, let alone using it, driving a bunch of hours each way and figuring out how to transport something heavy isn't fun for me. Especially when you find out the machine isn't as advertised and more worn out or something is broken. And if I had all day, every day to do enjoy my hobby, my thoughts on this would be different.

In my upscale urban area, multiple cabinet shops are closing so there is no shortage in that direction. There is also a glut of unisaws due to folks getting sawstops.