Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Winter Soup Recipes?

Favorite Winter Soup Recipes?

Went over to the neighbors house yesterday and had a white bean and chicken soup for dinner. I'm not much of a foodie but it really blew me away. Made me think I need to reach out and find some recipes for the wife to try out this winter. We're fairly well stuck on chicken and wild rice and chili for large pot meals. I love it, but maybe I need to try some new recipes in my old age.

https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/guin...n-soup-recipe/

I made my own broth from beef shank and removed the meat and added it to the soup. A friend passed this on to me and I made it last winter and loved it. going to make it again when the weather turns cold.
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 11-07-2022 at 3:19 PM.

Not sure if this is a true gumbo, but it is my own recipe and it has been well recieved by my guests on several occasions.

Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo
    Spices: 1tsp salt, 1 1/2tsp paprika, 1tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp red crushed pepper, 1tsp sugar, 1/2tsp chile powder, ½ tsp black pepper.
    1 pack boneless thighs
    2 lb. shrimp
    2 cups brown rice
    5 cups water
    1 large onion diced
    3 cloves garlic diced
    1 green pepper diced
    1 small can whole or diced tomatoes

1. Cook rice and water for 25 minutes
    2. Saute onion and chicken in large pot till partially cooked.
    3. Add spices to chicken.
    4. Add tomatoes to chicken
    5. Add partially cooked rice and water to chicken
    6. Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is cooked.
    7. Add shrimp and pepper cook for 7 more minutes until shrimp is cooked.

One of our favorites is Turkey Corn Chowder. It originally used leftover turkey from Thanksgiving but I often throw Chicken or Seafood in for the protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    One of our favorites is Turkey Corn Chowder. It originally used leftover turkey from Thanksgiving but I often throw Chicken or Seafood in for the protein.
    I have no doubt about it being good ! And I bet you know this bit of physics…the vegetables, and stuff must have some similitude, of textures, or real compatibility of shapes and size. Even as a kid I knew that a big kinda’ crisp thing did not work with some small too mushy
    thing. Even if each was delicious.

Blog Entries
    Carrot stew is one of my favorite things to do. If the carrots do well I will try to document the make it up as you go recipe. These are lovely thoughts for soup season, A favorite season for us! Cock-A-Leekie will be happening soon too. As will creamy sweet potato.
    IMG_0443 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-07-2022 at 5:48 PM. Reason: cock-a-leekie, sweet potato
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Carrot stew is one of my favorite things to do. If the carrots do well I will try to document the make it up as you go recipe. These are lovely thoughts for soup season, A favorite season for us! Cock-A-Leekie will be happening soon too. As will creamy sweet potato.
    IMG_0443 2.jpg
    So which one is the pic?

Blog Entries
    Creamy sweet potato. It is more or less Cock-a-leekie with a gigantic sweet potato in stead of an old rooster. Our friends grew the potatoes, the image was taken to show them how much we enjoyed the potatoes.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Creamy sweet potato. It is more or less Cock-a-leekie with a gigantic sweet potato in stead of an old rooster. Our friends grew the potatoes, the image was taken to show them how much we enjoyed the potatoes.
    Gotcha, I saw the sweet potato and was confused that the soup was much lighter in color. I suppose due to a cream base.

My Grandmother was from Italy and raised chickens here in PA. She liked the old roosters to make stock, stew and soup.
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 11-07-2022 at 6:59 PM.

I love all kinds of hearty soups, and not just for winter. Lentil is a favorite in this house, as is mushroom soup and potato-leek soup. And for a "quick fix", I keep several varieties of "Amy's" brand soups in the pantry...truly great for a non-concentrated store-bought soup. Two cans make for a quick meal for two people in less than ten minutes or so.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Some of my favorite homemade soups:

Of course Turkey soup after Thanksgiving is a great soup.

A vegetable beef soup is good with carrots, onion, mushrooms, peas and potatoes. (barley or rice can also be included if desired)

Lima bean and ham soup with celery and onion.

Chili verde chicken is almost a soup and is great over rice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My 2 favorite winter soups, which I've embellished over the years from original recipes, are French Onion (must use Gruyere cheese on top) and Cheddar Broccoli made with extra sharp cheddar.

Beef or Lamp Soup. Super easy. Leg of Lamb or Beef bone (2-3) cut into 1-2" pieces either at the butcher or on your band saw. Add to tall stock pot, add cold water, bring to slight boil, empty and rinse bones again, bring to simmer, and let simmer for 4-8 hours, replacing water as its lost. Do not boil. After all the marrow is gone, the broth is done. Strain broth, remove bones. Add browned and cubed beef or lamb. and simmer for 20 minutes. Add barley or lentils, celery, carrots, pearl onions. Right before serving, add frozen peas.
    Regards,

Tom

As the weather starts cooling off the soup pot comes out more frequently. I usually do a big batch every other week that's good for a couple dinners and a few lunches. So far this year:

Chicken and wild rice with vegetables. I use a whole rotisserie chicken for the meat and the bone broth.

Beef vegetable. I simmer bones for hours first to extract the marrow and collagens. It makes for a high gravity bone broth that adds flavor and body.

Italian Wedding. Another hearty recipe with lots of tiny hand made meatballs and orzo pasta.

Italian White Bean. This one is next so I can use up the sausage I got for the wedding soup. I make meatballs using 1/3 ground beef, 1/3 sweet Italian Sausage, and 1/3 hot Italian sausage along with other ingredients. I use white beans and lots of diced carrots and onions that have been sautéed, with a little red pepper flake mixed in. A can of diced tomatoes at the end finishes it off. It's a great cold weather belly warmer.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post

Italian White Bean. This one is next so I can use up the sausage I got for the wedding soup. I make meatballs using 1/3 ground beef, 1/3 sweet Italian Sausage, and 1/3 hot Italian sausage along with other ingredients. I use white beans and lots of diced carrots and onions that have been sautéed, with a little red pepper flake mixed in. A can of diced tomatoes at the end finishes it off. It's a great cold weather belly warmer.
    Hey Bob, so you use chicken broth for this or the meat balls make the broth?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-08-2022 at 9:12 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging