Thread: Clamps for mortising table

Clamps for mortising table

I'm building a horizontal router / mortising table. The table itself will be plywood, possible with phenolic face. I will need clamps that can be moved around the table. Thoughts about dovetail clamps (a la Microjig), vs T-track clamps? Any reason to prefer one over the other?

I just use Jorgensen F Clamps.
    Regards,

Tom

If you have or plan to have a tracksaw it might be better to plan around using that type of clamp unless you already own something else that would work.

My tracksaw clamps get used 20x more than the tracksaw does.

This is how I do it on mine.

The self-adjusting Destaco clamp is mounted to the hold down platen with toilet bolts in slots. The hold down platen also has slots in it with toilet bolts that slide in the X-table, which allow for positioning the workpiece at any desired angle with a single clamp. The slots in the X-platen are cut with a keyhole bit.

With a little creativity, you can hold almost any workpiece.

John

I like that. Thanks.

My table setup on a restored 3-axis Horizontal Mortiser. Use toggle clamps for stiles and rails. 1/4-20 bolts and sliding stops for clamping. One center-mounted large toggle clamp with a wood cantilevered extension also. Works well with testing I have done to date.

IMG_0266-1920.jpg
    Last edited by Norman Pirollo; 11-08-2022 at 5:01 PM.
    Norman Pirollo Furniture Maker + Educator