Thread: Sawstop Contractors Jobsite Saw Pro - fine WW use

Sawstop Contractors Jobsite Saw Pro - fine WW use

I'm thinking about purchasing the Jobsite Pro saw and I'm wondering if anyone on the Creek is using one for fairly fine (cabinet, furniture) wood cutting. It's the right size, safe, portable, left tilt, and looks very well built. I want pretty precise cuts. I'm using an Inca 259 now but I don't like the tilting table. It's a beautiful saw but looking at other options. Thanks.

I’ve used it for making furniture, shop furniture and drawers, jigs, and other in my shop since I bought it just after the first version was available. So I don’t own the current version but, if anything, the newer version should be improved; more space in front of the blade, a different table coating and, from the models I’ve seen in stores, an improved throat plate. Even without these, I still think it was a great purchase. It’s nice to be able to fold it up and move it out of the way when I need the space. I find it is accurate, has enough power, and is great for ripping. I have upgraded the miter gauge to an Incra 3000 sled and that works great for the cross-cutting I don’t do with my tracksaw and table. It’s safe for sure. To be sure, it’s not a cabinet saw and won’t replace one but I think it’s a great saw. It works for me.

Great information Randy. Thanks.

I now have both the JSS Pro and the CTS. First, if you get either saw, before buy it, check to make sure the table top is flat enough for your needs. None will be totally flat, but the flatter the better. My first Pro dipped in as it approached the insert, which made for an inconsistent cut angle on narrow boards. I returned that saw and was allowed to check 3 Pros before choosing the flattest one. Next, I had to call SS to get a replacement insert, as the original could not be adjusted flat. The replacement is fine. My fence was not flat, so I used sandpaper on a reference granite slab from Woodcraft to flatten the face. Now it's very flat. Lastly, the 90* blade to table adjustment does not stay in adjustment after folding the saw up, then bringing it back out to use. SS engineers agree that's a problem, however they said the blade can be resquared using the fine adjust knob, which is what I do every time I bring the saw out.
    Now all that said, I wouldn't trade my Pro for any other jobsite saw. Every saw is going to have issues that you'll have to work around in order for it to perform to you needs. I love its portability and space saving, as it's a replacement for a PM 2000 cabinet saw.
    If you can get by with a smaller table, I've only had the CTS for a few days, but I feel like the CTS is a better saw. It's internal design is simpler and more solid. All of your adjustments remain whether you move the saw or not. I prefer the fence of the Pro, but the CTS fence is adequate. The only real drawback to the CTS is that it doesn't accept a dado blade, however I don't use one, so that's not of my concern. Good luck with your choice.

I had the same issue as Derek. My JSS pro wouldn't keep 90° when I would pull it out of storage. After a bit of testing I found just raising and lowering the blade a few times could make it come out of square too.
    For me that was not something I wanted to live with so I got rid of the saw. I'm going to stick with my track saw and 20" bandsaw for a while before I decide if I want another tablesaw.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEL MONGEON View Post
    I had the same issue as Derek. My JSS pro wouldn't keep 90° when I would pull it out of storage. After a bit of testing I found just raising and lowering the blade a few times could make it come out of square too.
    For me that was not something I wanted to live with so I got rid of the saw. I'm going to stick with my track saw and 20" bandsaw for a while before I decide if I want another tablesaw.
    Joel, the engineers know about it now, so maybe they'll come up with a fix or design it out in the next model. The CTS really does not have this issue and it's a more solidly built saw.
    Not a fix, but this does help...

I never had the problems with my Jobsite saw as described. Mine was one of the first when it was first put on sale. I hope Sawstop wouldn't have changed a design that worked because mine gives me the results I require. I'm usually kind of a perfectionist and I haven't ever noticed these problems with my saw.

It's disappointing to read about the tables not being flat and the blade not staying in alignment. I would have thought SS would not have these issues. I think the table on the compact saw would not be quite large enough to support a cut off sled which I'd like to use. The price is certainly nice. I want to contact SS to see if the Pro can be purchased without the stand. I'd like to make a base with casters. Maybe that would solve the blade issue too since it wouldn't be banged around while folding it. Thanks for the comments fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Fitzsimons View Post
    It's disappointing to read about the tables not being flat and the blade not staying in alignment. I would have thought SS would not have these issues. I think the table on the compact saw would not be quite large enough to support a cut off sled which I'd like to use. The price is certainly nice. I want to contact SS to see if the Pro can be purchased without the stand. I'd like to make a base with casters. Maybe that would solve the blade issue too since it wouldn't be banged around while folding it. Thanks for the comments fellas.
    Kevin, just as I did with the Pro, I'm going to make and infeed and outfeed for the CTS, along with a crosscut sled. I'm likely going to make the sled larger than the table and see no reason why that wouldn't work well, as it does on the Pro. I think you'll like the fence on the Pro and not tilting the Pro should help maintain the 90* blade issue.