Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work shoes

Blog Entries

Work shoes

Hi,

I usually use old running shoes for working, but now that I'm full time I'm wearing out my already worn out running shoes to the point of ridiculous-ness.

I might as well become a proper professional and have an actual pair of work shoes. Not to mention, I have zero cushion left on my running shoes. I also generally like having my toe box and heel at either the same height or close ("zero drop"). Basically, I'm just looking for comfort, not much heel rise (if any), and a beefy exterior. Pretty simple.

Happy to do my own research obviously, but thought I would ask around see what people like.

Thanks much and cheers!

I think it's more about fit than anything else, so recommendations often aren't that helpful.

My foot is very wide across the ball of the foot and narrow in the heel, so unusual and very hard to fit.

Some things I've learned. Keen has a range that can be more than wide enough for me, but is often loose in the heel. They also have low-top and "sneaker-style" safety-toe shoes. Hytest has a few wider models and seem to be good quality, sorta' OK fit on me. Redwing seemed really good quality and the staff in their local store was helpful, but they couldn't come close to fitting me.

Good luck!

I prefer walking shoes with flat soles for working in my shop. When working in the yard or garden I prefer boots or shoes with just a plain sole and heel without all the safety lugs so popular today.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-05-2022 at 4:05 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Depends on what you're doing. I've worn Redwing boots for many years- the safety toes make a good place to rest heavy items.

A key requirement for me is minimal tread as I go in & out of clients houses a lot. Heavy Vibram soles leave a trail of debris and unhappiness.

5.11, high tec, and royal robbins, are all inter related and have some boots that would work in a shop.
    Bill D

I've been wearing the 8" danner quarry boots for years. They need more cushy inserts for working on concrete but for everything else they are great. I just tried a pair of keens for the first time, way softer on my joints, but they rub my ankles pretty bad, will need some breaking in.

I have had good luck with Danner shoes / boots. The Vicious boot with composite toe has really impressed me when I worked as a carpenter, etc, on site. I got about 5 years out of 2 pair back to back. Before that I went through several pairs of Keens. Never got more than 9 months or so out of any Keens, though they are comfortable.

I have been able to find the Vicious boot for 50% off both times I bought them which was very nice.

I like other Danner shoes as well and have worn a few other lighter duty models for shop work.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Depends on what you're doing. I've worn Redwing boots for many years- the safety toes make a good place to rest heavy items.

A key requirement for me is minimal tread as I go in & out of clients houses a lot. Heavy Vibram soles leave a trail of debris and unhappiness.
    I've bought and used a lot of different brands of shoes over the years. The ones I think I like the most are a pair of Caterpillar brand high tops with steel toes in them. They protect well and they have thick soles that help a lot with walking on concrete floors.

Keens are my go-to … they even have some models that are actually made in the USA
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Red Wing for me. Just like my dad only I take safety toe, he hated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Keens are my go-to … they even have some models that are actually made in the USA
    The USA made ones are nice and light compared to my danners!

I've had some back issues lately (bad ones) so I went on a search and settled on the "crocs on the clock" (not the normal crocs) for use in the shop and I'm really liking them. Very well supportive, comfortable and bouncy even. They have a rubber insole that fits inside the rubber shoe and even walking on concrete isn't bad with them. Idk if I'd wear them on a work site but awesome for the shop so far.

Wearing boots makes me tire easily. I move a Lot, and have to live in running shoes that are a good fit. I wear boots when I have to, like when running a chainsaw to keep the chips out of my shoes. Feet are so individual that I don't see how any one person can make a good recommendation to anyone else.

As you have gotten by with sneakers and upgrade would be the Merrill, Oboz, etc hiking shoe. It’s largely what fits you best and that is just trying them on. For a “real” work boot, I’ve worn Red Wings for over 50 yrs. Still a good boot and i understand they are pulling their manuf back from off shore. A US made, and excellent boot/shoe line is Chippewa. I bought a boot from LL Bean about 20 yrs ago called the Engineer boot. It was made by Chippewa and about the best fitting shoe I’ve ever worn. But that is my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Me too. I've worn Keen's for close to 10 years now - every day - in the shop and on concrete. Safety toe boots are a must for me.