Thread: Minwax polyurethane

Blog Entries

Minwax polyurethane

I was confused when I went into a store to purchase a can on Minwax Fast Drying Clear Semi-Gloss Poyurethane today. Here is what the can used to look like.
    clear.jpg

Here is what the new can looks like.
    new.jpg

Note the "Warm Semi-gloss) wording on the can. There is no explanation of what warm means. I called Minwax and they said the contents are exactly the same, its just a new label.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Warm means it has an amber tone, like OB varnishes all have.

John

Warm is sometimes used on waterborne finish which has some amber stain it. I’d check the label of the new can, looking for clean-up instructions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Warm means it has an amber tone, like OB varnishes all have.

John
    Just like the original that was called clear! Instead of telling you what is in the can in large easy to read letter, they put small letters in different colored rectangles on each variety. Warm Satin is blue, Warm gloss is reddish brown, and Warm Semi Gloss is an off green.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've been using Minwax poly for years. Minwax says the poly in the new can design is the same as it's always been. I tried the "new poly" and it doesn't feel the same to me. It seems thinner - like halfway between poly and wipe on poly. Actually, I like it this way. It levels much better and the bubbles disappear quickly. It will probably require an extra coat to equal the thickness of the old poly, but it dries much quicker. I've actually been able to apply three coats in a day. At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but I don't think so. Interested in what others think.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Miller View Post
    I've been using Minwax poly for years. Minwax says the poly in the new can design is the same as it's always been. I tried the "new poly" and it doesn't feel the same to me. It seems thinner - like halfway between poly and wipe on poly. Actually, I like it this way. It levels much better and the bubbles disappear quickly. It will probably require an extra coat to equal the thickness of the old poly, but it dries much quicker. I've actually been able to apply three coats in a day. At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but I don't think so. Interested in what others think.
    Afraid of widths! I love it!

Maybe they're reacting to complaints from people who were expecting no color at all. "Warm" implies a bit of coloring to me.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I’d check the label of the new can, looking for clean-up instructions.
    The new clean up instructions are a hoot! I can't really do them justice, but they're the closest I've ever seen to a corporate shrug. IIRC the exact wording is "Cleanup should be done with whatever it legally available in your area" Definitely no mention of specific chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    The new clean up instructions are a hoot! I can't really do them justice, but they're the closest I've ever seen to a corporate shrug. IIRC the exact wording is "Cleanup should be done with whatever it legally available in your area" Definitely no mention of specific chemicals.
    Its oil based, so you would use mineral spirits or paint thinner. Amazing how handcuffed by stupidity some businesses have become.

John

They are not handcuffed by stupidity at all, it's CYA

If I tell you something specific for your area, I have to do that for every state and some counties. If I just give a broad generalization, I'm covered.
    Look at SDS sheets, which have become almost worthless. Years ago they used to have to list all the ingredients in a product, now they need to only list what is hazardous, and nothing more. It makes it almost impossible to tell what's actually in some finishes.
    The less they are required to tell you, the less they can be held responsible if you don't handle it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    They are not handcuffed by stupidity at all, it's CYA

If I tell you something specific for your area, I have to do that for every state and some counties. If I just give a broad generalization, I'm covered.
    Look at SDS sheets, which have become almost worthless. Years ago they used to have to list all the ingredients in a product, now they need to only list what is hazardous, and nothing more. It makes it almost impossible to tell what's actually in some finishes.
    The less they are required to tell you, the less they can be held responsible if you don't handle it properly.

What an abomination. They are of almost no value now. Just as the manufacturers want and their lobbyists delivered.

John

Look at to only list what is hazardous, and nothing more. It makes it almost impossible to tell what's actually in some finishes.
    The less they are required to tell you, the less they can be held responsible if you don't handle it properly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah , and the shellac making bugs wouldn’t say anything either. So we had to just take the stuff they were making and hope it was okay.