Thread: Balestrini round end tenoner for cabinet door rails?

Balestrini round end tenoner for cabinet door rails?

Does anyone know if a Balestrini Tenoner model TO can be used to cope cabinet door rails? I see it is a round end tenoner that can do two pieces of stock at once by traveling all the way around the work piece producing a round tenon. I just wonder if there is a way to put a cope head on it and have it only go side to side for making traditional cabinet door rails?

I don't see how that would work, no. The tool spins in the wrong axis for coping.
    JR

Yes, strictly square edge with those unless you haunch the stiles. A lot of work for cabinet doors doing that. These are used mainly for chair work.

I remember once seeing a picture in an industrial woodworking magazine of a rail with a round-ended tenon that was coped to fit a round post or stile and wondering how that was accomplished. The cope was rounded through the full depth of the rail including fore and aft of the tenon. I think it must have been coped and then mortised for a spline tenon. In any case, I don't see how the Balestrini could be adapted for coping.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Any reasons to keep this machine around in a cabinet shop?

Balestrini, Bacci and probably some others use these type machines to make mitered tenoned cabinet doors. I don’t know if your particular machine is capable of 45 degree tenons. You would need the round end mortiser with it to be effective.

The advantage of these machines is the tenon shouldering is all done in one pass.