Thread: 3D printer enclosure

3D printer enclosure

I recently ordered a 3D printer; should be showing up today or tomorrow 😉👍

I'm curious what others here have been doing as far as enclosures to keep the printer clean while sharing space in the shop or garage? I can find all kinds of generic examples online; I was hoping folks here might have some more specific info on keeping the fine dust from a wood shop out.

Also, do you keep the printer on a bench, up on a shelf, or down under the bench - or something else entirely?

Wjay type of printer? Filament, resin, ? My filament based printer sits on a soapstone countertop to minimize movement or vibration. One thing this thing needs is the bed leveled with respect to the printer head. Not difficult to do but the more you move the printer, the more this task will need to be done/checked. In any case I’d try to carve out a permanent, stationary home for the printer. I just cover mine with a little vinyl tent (think like a Weber gas grill cover) when not in use. Quick blast of air after removing the tent and away we go. At work they insist on a ventilated enclosure for these things but unless it’s a resin printer, that is overkill.

I made an enclosure for my CR10 v3 using Misumi aluminum extrusions and double layer of corrugated plastic from HD. I built a table to hold it and the printer is in a spare bedroom. I should have put more support stringers on the legs to restrict movement, but it works OK so long as the table is away from the wall.

Edit: I found my Misumi parts list so I've added it here. Also I've since added a LED light on the top of the enclosure.

3d_printer_enclosure.jpg 3d_printer_table.jpg
    parts.JPG
    Last edited by Tom Dixon; 11-04-2022 at 8:14 AM.

Mine is not in my shop. It is just too dusty. Mine sits on a very sturdy desk that has room for my laptop if I want to tweak things. No enclosure

Same here...my printer is in my home office area on a credenza table I built a few years ago. It is far too dusty and dirty in the workshop/studio/garage. In addition the temperature and humidity swings are too extreme for successful printing out there.