Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for cnc machine suggestions in the 50k range

Looking for cnc machine suggestions in the 50k range

Hi- Im a professional cabinetmaker looking at my first cnc. We have been subbing cnc work out and would like to bring it in house as we expand our business. Looking at DMS, Shop Sabre, Thermwood and AXYZ. Looking for a rock solid machine with great techincal and customer support. Thoughts?

DMS/Freedom/Patriot would be my choice. Made in Colorado, solid, compact machine with ball screws on all axis. Recently SCMI started a partnership with DMS, so I'm not sure if you buy through SCMI or DMS. Uses a Fagor servo drive system as well, all industrial components.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Don't overlook CAMaster. They and Shop Sabre are both US companies and well made. James McGrew is in the cabinet business and is an expert on the machine. I believe he's a member here but not active. He can be found on FB or the CAMheads forum.

Camaster. Like ShopSabre, they are a US based manufacturer. They also endeavor to use as much North American created content in their machines as practical, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you gentlemen. Good suggestions- I have seen the DMS in action and it is impressive. Am in touch with ShopSabre as of this am and will check out the Camaster now.

Don't overlook used heavy iron mechines like Bessie and Anderson they will out cut and most come with drill banks. The place I worked at had 2 one flat table and one pod and rail I ran the pod and rail and could proccess 50 sheets a day. That is cutting drilling and side boring each sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Don't overlook used heavy iron mechines like Bessie and Anderson they will out cut and most come with drill banks. The place I worked at had 2 one flat table and one pod and rail I ran the pod and rail and could proccess 50 sheets a day. That is cutting drilling and side boring each sheet
    for about 50k?

Locally (in AZ) I have at least two or three nice Multicam units for $20k-$30k on Craig's List right now. So yes, if you want to take the chance on used, plenty of nice units out there for way under 50k.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Thanks again for the input- we are in Vermont and I'll expand my used machine search- does seem a risk but if we can find the right machine we may go that way. Shop Sabre has been teh most impressive of what I've seen new so far- features for price point, great communication, etc. I have three weeks before I need to order to get it for my new shop space and will keep an eye on used til then. Let me know if you see anything out there!

Check out the IRSauction.com

Thanks all- went with a shop sabre IS408. Excited to have it land!

I just saw where Shopbot has a new unit for cabinet makers called the Zeta it includes a lot of options others charge extra for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajGjYFlp6uw

Both Packages Include:

• Robust Dual Z with 5x4 drill bank
    • 5hp ATC spindle
    • 10 HP Becker blower
    • 4-Zone (for the 96-48) or 5-Zone (for the 120-48) vacuum hold down system
    • Hose Cradle Kit and 4”x25’ Dust Hose
    • Dedicated Control Computer
    • VCarve Pro
    • Cabinet Parts Pro
    • ShopBot Zeta Bit/Drill Kit:

9 boring bits (1: 3mm x 57, 6: 5mm x 57 & 2: 8mm x 57)
    8 popular bits for cabinet making: 1/4” Downcut, 3/8” Two Flute Max Life Compression Spiral, Carbide Tipped Straight Spoilboard Cutter, Raised Panel Straight MDF Panel Bit, 2” 140° V Flute, 3/16” Radius Carbide Tipped Point Cutting Roundover, 3/8” Two Flute Downcut Chipbreaker x 1-1/8”
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 11-24-2022 at 8:59 AM.

13. I am in the process of purchasing a CNC direct from China. I'ts where the majority of CNC machines are made and used in the world, so they certainly know something about it. They are all made in Jinan, China and there are probably 100 different companies making them for mostly the Asian market, however the same companies produce the machines for "American" companies like Phantom, Grizzly, etc. I am using StyleCNC. Is it the best? We will see, but they have been easy to work with so far and I am getting a 5'x10' machine with 805w Yaskawa servos, 9kw HQD spindle (Asian copy of HSD), full vacuum bed with 10 hp vacuum, 12 position ATC, 6-8mm steel frame and gantry, pneumatic hold down rollers, 4th axis rotary attachment. Cost after it makes it through the port will be somewhere between 20-25k.
    Feel free to ask me anything about the purchase process so far - It should make it on a boat around Mid-December (fingers crossed).

Is that, essentially, double post for real? Feels like a sales pitch…

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Joseph Rogers View Post
    I am in the process of purchasing a CNC direct from China. I'ts where the majority of CNC machines are made and used in the world, so they certainly know something about it. They are all made in Jinan, China and there are probably 100 different companies making them for mostly the Asian market, however the same companies produce the machines for "American" companies like Phantom, Grizzly, etc. I am using StyleCNC. Is it the best? We will see, but they have been easy to work with so far and I am getting a 5'x10' machine with 805w Yaskawa servos, 9kw HQD spindle (Asian copy of HSD), full vacuum bed with 10 hp vacuum, 12 position ATC, 6-8mm steel frame and gantry, pneumatic hold down rollers, 4th axis rotary attachment. Cost after it makes it through the port will be somewhere between 20-25k.
    Feel free to ask me anything about the purchase process so far - It should make it on a boat around Mid-December (fingers crossed).
    I agree - perhaps this should be posted in the classified section of the forum.
    David