Thread: Finishes for Pine

Blog Entries

Finishes for Pine

Hey everyone,
    I am about 3 months in a bunk bed build for my two little boys. So far, no major catastrophes. I am making it out of Southern Yellow Pine. I am looking for some advice on finishes. I know the typical answer will be, “It depends on what you want it to look like,” but what I’m looking for is if anyone has said, “Nailed it!” when they were done and which process they used. I’m open for leaving it natural, leaving is slightly tinted, or doing something crazy. I would prefer to not spend another month on the finish, since there are a lot of parts to it. I love oil but don’t need to wait 1-2 days between coats. Thank y’all so much.

PS: I am making it without any screws or fasteners

Todd Sebek

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Sebek View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I am about 3 months in a bunk bed build for my two little boys. So far, no major catastrophes. I am making it out of Southern Yellow Pine. I am looking for some advice on finishes. I know the typical answer will be, “It depends on what you want it to look like,” but what I’m looking for is if anyone has said, “Nailed it!” when they were done and which process they used. I’m open for leaving it natural, leaving is slightly tinted, or doing something crazy. I would prefer to not spend another month on the finish, since there are a lot of parts to it. I love oil but don’t need to wait 1-2 days between coats. Thank y’all so much.

PS: I am making it without any screws or fasteners

Todd Sebek

i am a big fan of odie’s oil on pine.

Blog Entries
    If it were not for time constraints I would consider Watco Danish Oil or Tung Oil. It is a sort of stinky at first, but easy to apply and can be replenished as the pine takes knocks.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I would not stain it, and just use a film finish like polyurethane.
    If you do want to stain, use a sanding sealer/shellac coat first. That or go with a gel stain. Otherwise you're going to get blotchy results, due to the nature of pine.

My favorite go to finishes are Watco Teak Oil and GF Arm-R-Seal because they are super easy to spply. I put a single coat of Watco Teak on my workbench and lumber rack and it has held up well. It does take a few days to cure hard enough to use and lose the strong odor. Arm-R-Seal doesn't have IMHO that harsh of an odor. I would put 2 coats on, on subsequent days. Full cure in just a few more days. Teak Oil is more of an "in wood" finish whereas Arm-R-Seal is "on wood" like a polyurethane.

You may also want to look at the new hard wax products, Rubio monocoat and Osmo. I've not used them yet but several people here on the Creek have made very positive comments about them, both in ease of application and performance.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 11-04-2022 at 2:35 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    ... I would consider Watco Danish Oil or Tung Oil....can be replenished as the pine takes knocks.
    +1, pine bunk beds and little boys = serious wear.

Wear and tear is also a good reason to not stain it. Repairs will be much easier without any stain to contend with. ARM-R-Seal can be touched up pretty easily also.

You may want at least 3 coats of ARS, probably 4 on the side rails and ladder.
    Mark McFarlane