Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda Walk Behind Mowers being discontinued Sept 2023

Honda Walk Behind Mowers being discontinued Sept 2023

I find this to be a sad announcement, IMO Honda has been one of the best lawn mower manufacturers in the world. The small engine world is full of so many junk machines it is becoming difficult to find quality lawn care machine these days. I believe that buying the very best machines is always the least expensive.

Many years ago I had a part time business doing small engine repair and had to go to school to get a State small engine repair certification because I had was doing service work for our local Sears Store. I was living in a very remote rural area at the time so there were chain saws to be repaired and chains sharpened by the truckload every week. I have seen my share of low quality small engine machines.

Check out this video for the details.

My Honda, self-propelled walk behind is probably 13 years old. I am saddened! Without a doubt it has been the best lawnmower I have had in my lifetime!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I used a Honda self-propelled walk behind with blade-brake-clutch from 2007 until 2021. It worked well (for the most part) during its time with me. I gave it away for free last year.

After a few years of ownership the engine wouldn't start due to buildup on the valves thanks to the ethanol they add to gasoline. I had to get it serviced and they suggested adding stabilizer to the gas can after every fill-up at the station. That worked perfectly and I never had that problem again. (The same thing happened to the engine in my snowthrower, with the same service and long-term remedy).

More recently however the mower was temperamental and needed a tune-up. The choke was messed up and you had to leave it closer to full choke to keep the engine running when under load. Nothing that couldn't be solved with a service appointment, but I never bothered.

Around the same time my almost-as-old 2-cycle leaf blower decided to stop working, and my also almost-as-old 4-cycle string trimmer started acting up. I replaced the leaf blower in 2018 or 2019 with a battery operated one from Greenworks, because that's what my local Lowe's had at the time and it was on sale. That worked great, and allowed me to get rid of the 2-cycle can. I replaced the string trimmer a year or so later with another one from the same brand and voltage line. Finally last year I gave up on trying to keep the mower running and replaced that with a self-propelled lawnmower, again from the same brand and voltage line. The battery operated mower does not work as well as the gas one did but it's not bad, while the trimmer and blower are definitely better than their engine equivalents.

Now the only non-automobile gasoline-driven item at the house is the snowthrower, which thanks to the stabilizer in the can will almost always start on first try even after months of sitting unused.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Wow...maybe I should buy a spare before they stop producing them. We use two of the them to mow our triple lot and they're the cat's meow. We've been thru Lawnboys, Husky and others but the Honda's just work.

Yes, very sad. My Honda was the best mower I had. Gifted it to my nephew or I'd still have it. I noticed the have them at my Lowes now, whereas it used to be only HD.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I think they are probably expecting it all to go electric and that quite soon.

Cordless mowers are taking over. It's a shame since Honda makes some of the best small engines. Before I had a chance to buy Honda discontinued their riding lawnmowers. They made one which basically had a small car engine under the hood. I did buy a Honda string trimmer back in the day when the other brands were still making only 2 stroke models. Well over a decade later and it still runs great. Purrs like a kitten when idling and the string is louder than the engine at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I think they are probably expecting it all to go electric and that quite soon.
    I think the time is here. I guess it depends on the yard, but they now have electric riding lawn mowers, and other than charging the batteries and cost, electric is superior to gas. I've personally never owned a gas mower, but I struggled plenty with one growing up. My DeWalt push mower does everything I need, with a minimal amount of muss and fuss.

My Honda mower will last a long time. Glad I’ve got it. I’ve had a bunch of mowers and none were anywhere close to the Honda. Some
    performed okay for 2 or 3 years max. And they were top brands.

I have two Hondas that are eight or nine years old. One was my father’s which I kept when he passed. We have a big yard so frequent my wife and I mow together. Hopefully they will last twice as long as using one all the time.

California has banned the sale of new gas-powered lawn-care machinery starting in 2024, for air-quality reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    California has banned the sale of new gas-powered lawn-care machinery starting in 2024, for air-quality reasons.
    Now if they ban lawns to conserve water you wouldn't need a gas or electric mower

Honda makes a dependable machine for sure, but give me a Toro Super Recycler any day.
    The Toro is way more maneuverable, mulches leaves far better, and Personal Pace is head and shoulders above Honda's self-propelled function.
    (And Toro offers a Honda engine option, at least currently.)

We have a neighbor with a cordless mower, I think it's an ego. It seems to work well as long as the grass isn't too long. If we have a rainy spell where she can't cut her lawn for a week, she has to borrow a gas powered mower. She also bags her clippings presumably because the cordless mower doesn't have the power to mulch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Now if they ban lawns to conserve water you wouldn't need a gas or electric mower
    No if about it. During the current years-long drought, water conservation regs have effectively banned lawns in much of the state.