Thread: Segmented jointer guard

Segmented jointer guard

I want to buy a segmented jointer guard like this one that was posted to this forum back in early 2021. I can't find a link to it anywhere.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 8.53.23 AM.jpg

Any info much appreciated!

thanks, Mark

Sorry no help, but am curious. What are advantages - what do the segments do? Interested in upgrading from the old "pork-chop" shape guard on mine, so watching this with interest...

jeff

Blog Entries
    The segments on a large width jointer allow the "pork chop" to snake down the side as opposed to swinging out into the operator area. The ones I have seen were shop made from hardwood laminated to a canvas backing.

Sams jointer.jpg

This is the one at Sam Maloof's primary shop building. Think tambour door.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-03-2022 at 2:27 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There is a thread from not too long ago with multiple sources. Here is one of them.

sitec-katalog-en-4.pdf (panhans.de)

Go to page 21. I recall it being $600-700 american dollars. If you buy this and install it, please post photos. I want to see what is involved with retrofitting this to a machine. I would like to upgrade my guard to one of these.

Blog Entries
    I installed one and posted photos a year or so ago.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks for catalog posting, Patrick. Very nice offerings for many different machines. I'm drawn to the European style jointer guard on page 15 (17 in pdf#s)
    Hefty price tag on that guy...

jeff

Page 5 of the thread is where Brian's photos are. Also, i think Joe posted another source for a similar guard.
    Convert Jointer Guard from European bridge style to American Porkchop Style - Page 5 (sawmillcreek.org)

Yeah, i imagine the SUVA is as good as it gets. I wouldnt know, i am a peasant and havent used a machine with one installed. I do like the automatic nature of the SUVA. It springs back over the cutterhead after your material passes through. For $1500-2000, i would sooner add a powerfeeder to my jointer, i think. I am considering the segmented porkchop. I need to spend an hour or so monkeying around with how i would attach it to my machine.

Thank you all, exactly the information I was looking for.
    Mark