Thread: 1930's ish Tannewitz bandsaw

1930's ish Tannewitz bandsaw

I believe I have a 1930ish Tannewitz bandsaw. It's looks exactily like a 1933 PH30 that I saw for sale in a google search back in 2016 in Canada. But it has no data plate what so ever on it. The upper arm does have the Tannewitz - Grand Rapids cast in it. I am pretty sure it's a babbit bearing machine. It has holes in the sides of the bearing housings that are open. I think there should be some oilers there. Wondering if anyone has any idea on 1930ish Tannies? It has a fairly new 5hp single phase baldor motor on it. A shop was upgrading it to a higher hp machine. And was going to send it to scrapper if nobody bought it. So, I got it for $500. It's so tall I had to take the entire top assy off to get it into my oh door. And it brushed the top seal as it was going in. hahaha.

Over- gloating is not allowed here !
    Just don’t buy ANOTHER one ! Didn’t Sears and Roebuck sell those things !
    Did you know they charge extra for for sharpening all those teeth ?
    Very happy for you !
    Dang !!

Check out Old Woodwrking Machines forum. OWWM.org

Yep, Tannewitz is among the best of the best american bandsaw makers of the last 100 years. I think it was internal marketing communication within Crescent's sales department that told their associates not to compare their machine to Tannewitz, because Tannewitz's bandsaw was the better machine. Crescent competed on price only.

Jamie has the right of it. Go find the manual on vintage machinery and old woodworking machines. Nice score, post some photos! I dont have the ceiling height for a bandsaw bigger than my 20"er.

Pics or it didn’t happen
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.