Thread: Recommend a flashlight

Recommend a flashlight

I'm in the market for a new flashlight for general use outside. Looking for something pretty high-powered (and size is no object), but I want something that'll take off the shelf batteries, not a rechargeable internal battery. Preferably something along the same lines as one of the old D-cell Maglites (but more reliable – I think the quality has fallen off a cliff in the past few years). Any recommendations?

I know you said not rechargeable but I'd highly recommend my go-to, a Streamlight 75713 Stinger. I used a flashlight numerous times every day, the 75713 was the best I found and I tried a lot! It's a decent size to fit in your hand but not too big to put into your back pocket. It has 3 light levels, high, medium and low. The high level is very bright, so bright that if you shine it onto a piece of paper to read the blowback will almost blind you. The low level is good for reading papers etc. Depending on your preference there's a poly version and a aluminum version, I prefer the aluminum version for the sold feel but both work equally well. It comes with 2 chargers, a 110v and a 12v and the 4C battery pack is replaceable though in over 15 years I only replaced my battery once. Charge life is rarely if ever a issue though, on full brightness it's 3 hours continuous and low level 10 hours continuous. It's not cheap but you pay for professional quality and it won't let you down. Even though I'm retired now I still reach for my stinger when I need a real flashlight and the first thing that goes in my truck when I'm traveling.

Mike

I think for most people with most around the house, including backyard, uses a 2AA light is the wisest choice. You can get Eneloop rechargeable batteries for day-to-day use (save money & help the planet) and Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries for long term storage for emergency use. You can also throw in any common alkaline AA batteries in if you run short of the better ones.

For bigger than that the market seems to have gone to expensive lights with custom batteries, mostly rechargeable lithium. The LED D-cell Mag, taking two or three cells, really isn't that bad even though it isn't the power house some of the spot lights are. But I've never found a rechargeable solution for it. Another option which might overcome your no rechargeable concern is the flashlights offered for your battery tool system. (Assuming you have a cordless drill....) Matching that means you have batteries and chargers already. The few I've used worked fine. LED and reflector technology is pretty well understood and it seems pretty hard to make a truly bad light these days.

If you need/want more... plan to spend some bucks and have some less common batteries. Surefire seems to be the gold standard of reliable highend flashlights, though they tend to stay away from bleeding edge technology, so often under-perform upstart competitors (which may die just when you need it most. ) StreamLight, as mentioned, is another established line. Malkoff, a small newer company, has some well respected lights. Fenix, once an upstart, is pretty established and has a pretty broad range. 4Sevens, acquired by Prometheus, and Prometheus are newer lines that push technology and try to provide value. Even ignoring the gazillion brand labels on the generic LED flashlights from Asian factories, I'm sure there are dozens of other lines I'm forgetting.

If you want good light output and rugged dependability, then streamlight or surefire are hard to beat. But, even with them sitting there, the one I usually grab most often is made by Coast and came from Home Depot a few years ago. LOL

David, Mag lite had a rechargable version more then 30 years ago.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    David, Mag lite had a rechargable version more then 30 years ago.
    Bill D
    Yes. They still do, but it is a C cell size light, expensive, and barely matches the OP's no internal rechargeable batteries. (They say you can remove the pack & use C cells.)

Also, I still haven't found an acceptable (to me) rechargeable solution for their D-Cell light.

Blog Entries
    My current flashlights are great, a three pack of Duracell flashlights from Costco. They came with 4-AAA batteries each.

The current deal is on sale this month and looks like things have changed. The battery life appears to be longer.

https://www.costco.com/duracell-dura...100750833.html

These light up my walk from the house to the mail box at night. It is about a 10th of a mile from my door to the road.

I wish there were lights like this back in my bicycling days.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Outdoor use" is a little ambiguous, just saying. On my sub half acre suburban lot 600 lumens meets my lighting needs at home and around campsites. Sky is the limit if you are wanting to signal the ISS from your back lawn. Far and away my "best" handheld flashlight is my StreamLight. I have heard many good things about SureFire but have never owned one. Back 20 years Pelican made a _really_ good handheld that took 2 Dcells and was both waterproof to 300 feet (I had my pair to 120 feet multiple times), and they were also supposed to be non sparking if you were investigating say a propane leak above ground- the latter quality I did not investigate. Good luck.

I have several of these BulbHead 'Atomic Beam' flashlights, 'as seen on TV'... They're at least 5 years old, I use 'em often...
    atomicbeam.jpg
    variable width beam, bright as hell, and they take 3 AA batteries, and I guess you can buy a single rechargeable L-ion battery for it. The ONLY problem with them is they chew thru batteries pretty quick, but a 40-pack of AC Delco's can be had for 27c each on Amazon.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Tyler, I'm somewhat of a flashlight junkie and I can tell you that lumen rating any of the ones you see on Amazon and some of the ones in stores are greatly exaggerated. If your truly looking for a bright, reliable and waterproof flashlight you need to purchase one from one of the handful and brand name manufacturers. One of my favorites its Olight. I have several models from them. Some have a built in battery (typically the smaller ones) but the larger, brighter ones use batteries that are rechargeable and removable, although they are typically the high powered and common lithium batteries like the 21700. I know you mentioned off the shelf batteries but your typical AA, Cs and Ds will not give you the power and life needed.

Batteries like the 21700 can be purchase at Amazon and probably some of the sporting goods stores. In the long run they are the best value. And remember that lithium batteries hold their voltage til their almost depleted unlike carbon and alkaline batteries which will have a flashlight dimming much sooner. I buy a spare batteries, swap them out once in a while and keep them charged.

My favorite flashlight from Olight is this one: https://www.olightstore.com/warrior-x-pro-rgb.html. It has 3 levels of brightness, the highest being an honest 2100 lumens with a 500 meter beam distance (throw).

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I'm in the market for a new flashlight for general use outside. Looking for something pretty high-powered (and size is no object), but I want something that'll take off the shelf batteries, not a rechargeable internal battery. Preferably something along the same lines as one of the old D-cell Maglites (but more reliable – I think the quality has fallen off a cliff in the past few years). Any recommendations?
    Tyler,

Everyone will have a favorite! Especially those of us who are card-carrying flashlight fanatics. I've bought numerous lights, some very expensive, and keep a number of lights, some specialized (UV, etc). I'm with you 100% on the off-the-shelf batteries.

My favorites are the three I use the most:

#1 - The model I reach for the most is the Fenix LD22
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNUBH7G

My reasons:
    - Batteries. Uses two standard AA batteries, no "rats, I need to charge this" and no expensive special batteries.
    - Switch. They did it right. The soft, rubberized power switch is on the back, easily pressed as mentioned in "size and shape" below. A partial press gives momentary light until released, all that is often needed. A full press switches it on.
    - User interface. I HATE HATE flashlights that force you to go through all the modes they have included, low, med, high, strobe, SOS, etc. If I buy one with unavoidable modes I give it away. The LD22 does have various modes but they do it right - there is a second button on the side near the front. Every time the light is turned on it returns to the previous mode. To change brightness between very low, medium, bright, and quite bright. The very lowest is fine for walking around the farm on a moonless night (150 hrs use). The brightest will let me spot the horses and llamas across the fields. It does have the idiotic flashing modes but to access them you have to hold the secondary button down for a couple of seconds. That's the way to do it!
    - Size and shape. This flashlight is about 6" long and about 3/4" in diameter at the widest points - fits easily in a pocket. Even better, at a comfortable distance from the end switch button the diameter is smaller. this lets me hold the light easily and securely between my index and middle fingers putting my thumb in a comfortable position for momentary switch operation, my most common method of use around the farm.

I keep one in each car, one in the beekeeping kit, one hanging inside the shop door, one in the barn, one in the little farm truck, one by the bed, and two by the door of the house. I've given away several to friends and keep two new in the box as spares since I'd hate to lose one. Waterproof to IPX8 - dropped one while wrangling a peacock and found it in the dirt months later, still in perfect condition.

#2 - When I need both hands free (feeding horses, working on equipment, carrying something with both hands, tracking varmints) I use the Fenix HM23 Headlamp. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TBPLZ9G I have several headlamps and this is by far my favorite. Reasons:
    - Headband: The most comfortable of any I have or have used. Soft elastic.
    - Very light weight.
    - Uses a single AA battery. Gets 100 hours of use at the lowest power, my power I usually use. Touching the soft switch button accesses two other brightnesses. The brightest is 8 hrs at 240 lumens.

I keep one in the house, one in the shop, and one in the little farm truck and keep one spare. I've given two to veterinarian friends who have to do field calls at night or simply need a better view of something. I gave the first after I watched my friend hold a small flashlight in his mouth to examine my horse's eye - he later said he keeps the headband in the truck and uses it almost daily. It's so light weight I've seen him wear it, not realizing he had it on his head! I also gave one to a friend upon graduating vet school and heading for her first full-time job.

#3 - When I want spotlight power to light up the fields I reach for a bigger LED light with 3 "D" cells. It has just one mode - very bright. It's far brighter than any of the large Mag lights I've had in past years. It's better than the big "spot" lights I used to rely on and inexpensive too. I found this at Home Depot years ago and after trying it I went back and bought five of them. I keep one by the front door, one by the bedroom window from where I can see the horse pasture and the shop and barn down the hill, one inside the shop, one in the little farm truck, and a spare still in the package. Those in the house get used almost every night and the batteries have lasted for years. Unfortunately, the bad news. I've looked often at HD and searched the internet and never again found the same model. I once found a 3 "C" cell version and bought a couple of those. I really wish I could point to a purchase source for the one with "D" cells. Hey, I'm getting on up in years - I could leave you one in my will.

BTW, when shopping I take the advertised lumen value with a grain of salt. The advertised specs are often trickery and untruthful. If it otherwise looks good I might buy it, compare, then return if unsatisfied.

JKJ

No specific brand, but as long as it has a Cree LED with 1,000 lumens, and uses an 18650 rechargeable battery, it gets used here. There is no good reason to pay a high price for these. There are Many choices. Single function switch is a good thing, but they didn't have those when these first came out. I gave away all our Maglights years ago.

I will second the Streamlight Stinger. I’ve been using them for years.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I bought the same 3-pack that Jim linked to. They are VG, inexpensive, and bright. I also have a Streamlight Stinger rechargeable that is very good but not cheap, nor is the replacement battery for it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It's curious what different folks want from a tool. We messed around with various inexpensive and a few expensive, high end, dry cell powered flashlights for years. Half the time when we needed one, we ended up with one with largely depleted batteries, or something internal corroded and not working. One day in frustration I went out an bought a Dewalt LED powered by their 20V Max batteries, and set it and the charger on the woodbox by the front door. It's been there for close to a decade, with two batteries, and never once during that time have I been disappointed by my flashlight choice. Always ready, long battery life, good illumination, and the batteries have lasted extremely well. I can't imagine going back to a dry cell flashlight.