Thread: First Dresser

First Dresser

Dresser I made for my 6 year old son Finley. This is all from "construction" grade lumber, carefully picked from the pile, and some high quality plywood for the sides and drawers.
    I'm a bit torn on this, because the amount of effort required to build this dresser was pretty high, so building out of pine doesn't seem like much of a savings. I had never tackled something so challenging before, so I wanted a wood I could be fine with discarding if I made a mistake or miscut, but that did not happen, so no savings there. I definitely could have made this out of hardwood, and honestly it would have been easier that way, since hardwoods do not dent as easily as pine, which requires a lot more gentle handling.
    Finish is Enduro Var I & II (they stopped making Enduro Var I for some reason midway through the construction).
    Drawers are a simple rabbitted construction, with glue and pins. Fronts are attached with two sets of bolts and two sets of screws. I figure if I don't like the drawers, or they get broken, I can easily redo them, and retain the fronts.
    Style is Craftsman, which sometimes has an eastern element to it. Plans from Words n Wood.
    Pulls I picked up from a big box store on Finley's instruction to get something brass.

PXL_20220924_211757444.jpgPXL_20220924_211811212.jpgPXL_20220924_211818578.jpgPXL_20220924_211821456.jpgPXL_20220924_211845465.jpg

Great job, it looks very nice. Pine isn't a problem in a kids room either, you expect it to get dinged, and with pine, dings are memories, not disasters.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Lovely! Pine can be a challenge because of the grain and color variations but you did a nice job pulling it together into a cohesive piece. Well done.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Nicely done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Very very nice. It looks great. I like the design. I wouldn't be concerned that it is made of pine, it should still last a long time with a little care.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you everyone for the kind words. This is my first "serious" indoor furniture project. (I made a few cedar chairs and a table which also turned out nice)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very very nice. It looks great. I like the design. I wouldn't be concerned that it is made of pine, it should still last a long time with a little care.
    I agree, I was more attempting to explain my struggle with tradeoffs. I've got a nice twin bed my father made a few decades ago and it's lasted through a half dozen moves in pretty much the same state.

That having been said, having not built a dresser before, or a number of drawers I had no idea how much time it would consume. As such I was almost considering this a "throw away" project to teach myself some basics. However this ended up taking up several months of a few hours on the weekends to get to the completed state. Knowing what I know now about the time involved, and that I didn't make any major mistakes resulting in waste, I think I might have gone with the maple I also have on hand instead. It's moved in my mind from a practice project to a more serious affair.

I also had the idea that I could resaw 2x12s down to 3/4 material, but that doesn't quite work, since the clean up and saw kerf usually results in them being closer to 1/2". This is with a nice Laguna 18" bandsaw AND their 1 1/4" resaw blade.

Oh and my son, whom I love dearly, is a bit, _rambunctious_ in the way of boys his age. I'm expecting some.... character to get added.

Blog Entries
    Thats great! I love the shape and the Pine.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I like it. If you can find pine like that at your hardware store, you don’t need to apologize about building things out of it. If I could get that where I live, I’d use it for all sorts of things.

Nice design and job !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    I like it. If you can find pine like that at your hardware store, you don’t need to apologize about building things out of it. If I could get that where I live, I’d use it for all sorts of things.
    A couple of tips:
    First, I buy 2x12 material, since the boards seem to have fewer knots. I also buy longer boards, sometimes 2x12x16 and cut them in two. You end up paying a bit more, but you get better stuff.
    Second, you need to really go through the pile, often times I'll find 1-2 good boards in a pile. Start collecting them, and you'll be okay.
    Third, you really do need to collect them because they often have a higher moisture count than kiln dried, so I usually have them sit in my shop for a couple of months before use.

I also think it's a great piece. It will develop a character only pine can take on and cement many memories for your son.