Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop Contractor saw questions

Saw Stop Contractor saw questions

Looking at getting this SS contractor saw as it is considerably cheaper than their cabinet saw versions. But having trouble figuring out a couple things.

First, how do you adjust the table slots to the blade? If trunnions are mounted to the table instead of the cabinet, then the alignment would seem to be just like my current Craftsman contractor saw, a total pain. But given its Saw Stop, was hoping they made the internals similar to a cabinet saw for easy blade/slot alignment, but just don't know.

Second, I tried to build and price a contractor saw and saw an option for overhead dust collection but it was greyed out. The blade guard that comes with this saw doesn't even have a dust port and apparently you cant even upgrade to one from Saw Stop. I know its a contractor saw but not even having an option for overhead dust collection seems weird. Am I missing something?

Finally, I am looking at this SS vs a Harvey 110V true cabinet saw. Their prices are on par with each other and I prefer the cabinet saw but can get the SS safety for about same price, albeit a contractor saw. I can probably live with some of the downsides of a contractor saw but would just like to know the internal mechanisms and dust collection options before deciding. If getting the SS, would like to ensure I can set up overhead dust collection and would put the saw in an enclosed base cabinet to improve dust collection further.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Overhead collection on a contractors' style saw is likely pretty unusual no matter what the brand. There is always the option of using a separate overhead collection solution, either shop made or purchased.

My guess is that SS hasn't materially changed the table/trunnion design for their contractors' style saw relative to alignment, but I could be wrong about that. Don't forget you can get the PCS with a 1.75Hp motor that will run on 120v power...all the beef but with more modest power requirements. But yes, more expensive than the contractors' style saw for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, dust collection is going to be important since will be in my basement. I know its a contractor saw, but I have seen videos on what you can do to improve things, like build your own sealed cabinet and add overhead dust collection. OHDC should not be much different in effectiveness for any type of saw. I will just do the best I can. Just don't even see an option for it on SS website.

On table slot to blade alignment, I thought about it and pretty much no way trunnions are mounted to cabinet because there is nothing to mount to in the back or it will be very weak. Still would like to know how you do the alignment on the contractor saw. I even downloaded the manual and did not see anything about it, unless I missed something. I would rather get a root canal than align my Craftsman contractor saw.

Switch to the 36” t-glide option and you can choose the blade dust collection and hose/tube. You can probably use the floating option too as long as you don’t plan to move the saw since the contractor wheel kit can’t pick it up. A lot of what the build your own system lets you add or not, depends on what mobile base you are using and whether or not it can pick it up. As example, the PCS doesn’t allow some options unless you opt for the more expensive ICS mobile base.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-30-2022 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Worstell View Post
    Yeah, dust collection is going to be important since will be in my basement. I know its a contractor saw, but I have seen videos on what you can do to improve things, like build your own sealed cabinet and add overhead dust collection. OHDC should not be much different in effectiveness for any type of saw. I will just do the best I can. Just don't even see an option for it on SS website.

On table slot to blade alignment, I thought about it and pretty much no way trunnions are mounted to cabinet because there is nothing to mount to in the back or it will be very weak. Still would like to know how you do the alignment on the contractor saw. I even downloaded the manual and did not see anything about it, unless I missed something. I would rather get a root canal than align my Craftsman contractor saw.
    People with conventional contractor's saws often install PALS to help with alignment. I don't know if that would work with Sawstop's contractor saw or not.

https://www.in-lineindustries.com/pr...ctor-saw-pals/

Todd, I have the instructions for adjusting blade alignment on the SS contractor saw. I can send in a PM to you if you want. I got the PDF (not in the manual) from the SS support website but I'll be darned if I can find it online again or I would send you the link. No it is not like the cabinet saw by the fundamental design. Instructions involve loosening a couple of screws and "adjusting" with a mallet. It's not that difficult but not different than other contractor saws as far as I can tell - should not move under normal use. I got the impression from talking to SS support and the language in the instructions, that they didnt expect a need or want to encourage people to do this.

I have the SS and it does everything I need. I didn't even consider a SS cabinet model due to size and weight, and the fact I don't use a tablesaw enough to justify the expense. Yes dust collection is not great, but I can live with that. When I bought the contractor, the price was only around $1250 as I recall, so its a different calculation now.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-31-2022 at 11:48 AM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I have a very long blog on another woodworking website that details how I made my own cabinet for my Sawstop Contractors saw to improve dust collection. If you Google "Sawstop and Router Cabinet / Infeed Table / Outfeed Table Project" you should be able to find it. The lengthy blog contains the entire build.

It was fairly successful in improving dust collection, but no question my Sawstop ICS now has far superior dust collection, as you would expect from a true cabinet saw.

If I recall, the PALS doesn't work with the contractors saw, but I might be mistaken about that. I'd check first before buying.

That being said, my Sawstop Contractors saw came very well aligned, and I never had to mess with it.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 10-31-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

If you go onto SS website and build a contractor saw, I was able to add the overarm dust collector to the contractor saw. However by the time you add the overarm dust collector and 36" rails along with the cast iron wings, you are at the same price as a 1.75hp PCS. The only issue is the 1.75 PCS doesn't come with the dust collection blade guard like the 3hp does. You can get the dust blade guard for $159, and instead of buying the entire dust collector hose thing for $289, you can get a $20 hose from lowes or home depot and make it yourself, which is what I did for my PCS.

The PCS has way better dust collection in general. You can't get this with a contractor saw no matter how much stuff you add to it for dust collection.
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 11-01-2022 at 4:54 PM.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Second, I tried to build and price a contractor saw and saw an option for overhead dust collection but it was greyed out. The blade guard that comes with this saw doesn't even have a dust port and apparently you cant even upgrade to one from Saw Stop. I know its a contractor saw but not even having an option for overhead dust collection seems weird. Am I missing something?

Yes - you are missing the fact that in order to get the overhead dust collection you need to get the 36 or 52 inch fence. You do NOT want the 30" fence on any sawstop saw regardless of model. The fence is not so good at all.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Stan, Yeah, thanks man, please send in PM.
    Last edited by Todd Worstell; 11-02-2022 at 6:44 PM.

Yeah, if I go with the contractor saw, I will attempt something like you did. But wow, yours is pretty awesome. I would be a bit simpler.

New option

So, still looking at the contractor or 1.75 cabinet SS. But now I found that you can get the base saw only from a dealer. Just get the saw with no rails, wings or fence. This knocks off almost 500 bucks on the 1.75 with T glide fence and the CNS is about 250 off.

I already have a nice Incra fence system on my old saw, so this would work out nice for me. My old saw also has cast iron side wings so should be able to use them on a SS too.

Somebody mentioned the 1.75 does not come with the guard that has the OHDC feature so that a little bit of a bummer.

The hard choice is which to get. I have researched enough now to have a good idea about the difference. The contractor saw will be all I need as far as function, but I will have to do some work to get decent collection.

Thanks to all for the input.

You can buy the dust collection blade guard. https://www.rockler.com/sawstop-dust...SABEgJXUfD_BwE

So, still looking at the contractor or 1.75 cabinet SS. But now I found that you can get the base saw only from a dealer. Just get the saw with no rails, wings or fence. This knocks off almost 500 bucks on the 1.75 with T glide fence and the CNS is about 250 off.

I already have a nice Incra fence system on my old saw, so this would work out nice for me. My old saw also has cast iron side wings so should be able to use them on a SS too.

Somebody mentioned the 1.75 does not come with the guard that has the OHDC feature so that a little bit of a bummer.

The hard choice is which to get. I have researched enough now to have a good idea about the difference. The contractor saw will be all I need as far as function, but I will have to do some work to get decent collection.

Penny wise and pound foolish. If you find you your existing parts don't fit, getting the parts after will set you back a lot more. The wings alone are 400. There are two over table collectors. Which one are you after?
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 11-02-2022 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Penny wise and pound foolish. If you find you your existing parts don't fit, getting the parts after will set you back a lot more. The wings alone are 400. There are two over table collectors. Which one are you after?
    I plan to use my craftsman cast iron wings. I am assuming that the holes will line up, and if not I will drill new holes. My Incra fence system is going on regardless. For dust collection, looking at the one that comes standard on the 3HP model or making my own.