Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: all my stuff hates me...

FWIW--I've been using Carbonite for years. I just didn't take time to get it loaded on the "new" refurb before the HD froze.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

One thing I do to make backing up easy on myself, is that every file is ultimately stored in ONE root folder, easy to access from every computer, and real easy to make a copy. FWIW, my files are "just files", there's no programs of any kind, just Corel, Gravostyle and EzCad jobs, PDF's, CAD files, EPS files, etc... So even though I had an auto backup program, it's real easy to just copy that folder to onto another drive, I'd just do it before I shut down for the day, all done next morning.
    But it only works if I actually DO it! Attachment 489276

I've found 4 different copies I've saved, but the newest is 14 months old. Oldest was 4 years ago...

My drive was received by the recovery place, here's hoping...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Best wishes, Kev... I'm also a Win 7 refurb fan too, and old Dells.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Williams View Post
    We internally utilize multiple Synology units in multiple locations for essentially an internal cloud. While its not the cheapest solution we are pushing give or take 60TB of storage with 2 drive failure redundancy at each unit. The units backup everything immediately to one another and we keep each unit in a different location with different ISPs, really more for power/internet outage vs fire, but even if a building burnt down everything is backed up. Probably overkill for most, but we do a lot with sensitive files and have clients that require on-premise secure sever/storage. Even if we only needed the storage backup and nothing else the Synology unit has to offer, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase everything again. I also recommend a whole-panel surge protector and for each circuit that has sensitive equipment, I put a Levitron Surge Protected 20a Outlet (I like the surge protector internal to the outlet), it protects all the outlets downstream from it too... cheap insurance.

As for the drive, Best Buy isnt what I would call qualified people for that... a real data recovery place isn't usually as publicly accessible vs mail-in. I will say that the tech people at Microcenter are about as good as I've found locally and they do offer data recovery and those techs really do some advanced things. I would remove the drive from the enclosure and plug it into a SATA power w/ power most larger desktops have the stuff internally already, SSD is trickier than HDD as you cant feel if its energised, whereas HDD you can hear and feel the disks spin. SSD drives are usually quoted at 1M hours of useful life, now EMMC drives are crap and fail and sometimes are passed off as solid state in the sales process, they are but its not the same as real SSD. I just dont trust that best buy even really tried anything, ive had issues with them, so I would start at square one. If there is some life, I would immediately put the drive in a cloner and move it to a new drive just to mitigate risk.

I sent a PM, give me a call. I would think that if there is something to figure out on it we could get to the bottom of it.

I too run a Synology DS920+ here. I have it set up with their Cloud Sync plugin that automatically syncs everything up to my DropBox account for a Cloud based backup and version control. Works great, and been very happy with the Synology feature set.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Got a reply from the data recovery place this morning:
    Hello Kevin,

It is with regret we inform you that after the diagnostics performed by our engineers we have found that the drive is not responsive in any capacity and there is no support from the manufacturer with its controller, deeming this case unrecoverable.
    in other words,
    toast.jpg

I was hoping, but was expecting the worst, and that's what I got.

Ah well... guess I'll be starting a new backup plan!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yeah I totally understand I turned on my CNC yesterday and all the sudden it won't connect and not sure why but looks like I need a replacement board then my vinyl cutter decided to crap out pretty much on the same day and it starts going crazy and won't cut properly and that song entirely different circuit no power surges or anything. And then my laser decided to not cut so well so. I feel your pain. Good thing there are probably solutions. Good luck