Thread: Air bubbles - at every start

Air bubbles - at every start

If I leave the laser sit over night - I come back to air bubbles in the tube. Microbubbles spread through out the tube. I've been having a technician run the laser for awhile, so I don't know if this is a recent issue or not.
    Five minutes of circulating the water clears out the bubbles - however - should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Chris My laser has the 5200 cooler. I run water with anti freeze. The anti freeze is colored so you can see the bubbles. The cooler has silicon rubber tubes that the coolant runs through. I squeeze the silicon rubber tubes to check the flow alarm on the cooler. Squeezing the tubes several times in a row also helps clear the larger bubbles. I have a General 60 Watt and a Reci 150 Watt tube both installed in 2014.

If you put the description of your set up in your signature it helps in getting technical answers.

Cheers Marty
    shenhui 900x1200 dual tubes 150 & 60

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pedersen View Post
    If I leave the laser sit over night - I come back to air bubbles in the tube. Microbubbles spread through out the tube. I've been having a technician run the laser for awhile, so I don't know if this is a recent issue or not.
    Five minutes of circulating the water clears out the bubbles - however - should I be concerned?

Thanks!
    One of the things you can do to help with that, is put about 2 drops of dishwashing liquid in the water. That's just enough to break the surface tension on the bubbles and helps keep them out of the system.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

I use straight distilled water, never seen a bubble...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, do you use a cooler? I have the 5200 and it makes plenty of bubbles.

Thanks marty
    shenhui 900x1200 dual tubes 150 & 60

Yes, i now use a 5200... I've had my Triumph for 9 years now, I originally used a non-refrigeratede 4000 'cooler' for about 4 years, they only air-cool the water. So I've had the 5200 for about 5 years. I've never put anything but distilled water in either one, never had a bubble issue.

Here's a pic of my inline water filter, or sight glass, or whatever it's supposed to be -- the chiller was running when I took the pic, and that sight glass is always full of water-- nary a bubble.
    5200running.jpg
    I've never seen a bubble in the tube either, although honestly, I don't get to see the tube proper all that often. (too much stuff on top of the laser)

ANY place where water or air can enter/escape can draw air into the water, and if air can get drawn in, so can small amounts of dust I would think, and any dust would contribute to additional surface tension of the water and making bubbles...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle